cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFSoC boards with same HWaddr. How they can be set to the hardware MAC?

Jump to solution

Hi All,

My issue is we have 2 RFSoC evaluation boards which have the same HWaddr. We are using the evaluation zip file which has a vivado project and also the board images loaded into the SD card.  I may assume that both boars have the same HWaddr beacuse we are using the same image, is this correct? if so, how we can set the HWaddr to real MAC of the ethernet chip?.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @juliancasallas ,

In Linux, you can try:

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

ifconfig eth0 up

Or in system_user.dtsi, you can try something similar like below and re-build Petalinux project.

ethernet@e000b000 {
local-mac-address = [00 0a 35 00 00 01];
....;

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi @juliancasallas ,

Is this the linux image that you are trying to load? Once loaded, can you please do a "ifconfig" and check? This should show the MAC address.

This can be changed by adding MAC address in DTS node or in Linux.

Please share your log files or screenshot so we can look into that more.

0 Kudos

@nanz , thanks for helping,  please see my picture enclosed, I can do 2 things, I can use petalinux to compile and build the kernel again adding the node you mentioned which I do not know how to do it but willing to learn and look into, or I can try to fix this issue from linux side if this is the case. However, I would like to try both just to learn a bit more.

thanks again.

logs.png
0 Kudos

Hi @juliancasallas ,

In Linux, you can try:

ifconfig eth0 down

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55

ifconfig eth0 up

Or in system_user.dtsi, you can try something similar like below and re-build Petalinux project.

ethernet@e000b000 {
local-mac-address = [00 0a 35 00 00 01];
....;

View solution in original post

As far as I know, each Ethernet chip has its own IP address based on the manufacture ID, etc..., I wonder if I can use the same  here without the need to create a new MAC address.

Finally what would be the best practices when deploying for production. If you have a Xilinx user/design  guide would be great to have a look.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @juliancasallas 

For best practices I'd suggest looking into U-Boot environment to save the MAC address. This is a flash partition that U-Boot uses to save non-volatile information, including the MAC. You will set the address with the setenv ethaddr command, and then save the environment to flash with saveenv. I've written about it in an article on my blog U-Boot handling MAC address.

Thanks,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog