Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

SFP I2C connection

Hello,

I am confused about how to connect the SFP in my Zynq Ultrascale MPSOC board (ZCU102). And I cannot find useful information about how to install it.

The SFP I have is: DM7041-R

What I want to do, is very simple. I want to send UDP packets through the SFP from my FPGA to a PC. To start with, I found in the schematic an I2C bus to configure the SFP. What I need to configurate through this bus? sfp0.PNG

sfp0_1.PNG

In the examples xapp1305 and xapp1306 there is not explained how to configure the SFP.
I would like to implement the UDP Transmitter in an easy way, but all the information about doing it is very confusing. I want to understand all the necessary steps to implement UDP and send frames to the PC. But I don't want to use Petalinux, neither the library LightWeigh. I have a FIFO with my frame infornation and I want to send it through the AXI Ethernet block.

Anyone can guide me to do that?

Thanks,

fg4ted

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @fg4ted,

If you do not want to use Linux, then XAPP1306 will be a better reference. You will need to make sure which mode the SFP is running , ie, 1000BASE-X or SGMII? In your AXI Ethernet core, you will have to configure to the same protocol to support it in order to get this to work.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @nanz,

although I configure the PCS/PMA block as a 1000BASE-X (as my SFP device), do I need to create the I2C connection in order to configure manually the SFP? I mean, in my constraints there are only the RX and TX pins form the SFP. It is necessary to access to another pin or configure anything else?

Thanks and best regards,

fg4ted 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @fg4ted,

You should find this info in your SFP datasheet and if it comes out as 1000BASE-X as default mode and if you will need to program it properly.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Hi,
Please check that thread https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Petalinux-Vivado-2017-4-Ethernet-via-PCS-PMA-and-SFP-in-SGMII/m-p/820427
I have faced and solved the similar problem.

I have used Linux there, but the solution uses low-level I2C tools, so probably you can use something similar with bare-metal application as well.

Regards,
Wojtek

0 Kudos