UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ya_dingus
Visitor

SGMII ip core with a Spartan 6

Jump to solution

Hello all

I am trying to implement a design for gigabit ethernet application. I have 8 bit data to/from a temac and would like to convert to serial before sending the data out. I thought the SGMII core would be perfect for this application, but it seems like implementing this core on a Spartan 6 will not work. The txdata and rxdata out is not serial and not differential. I am pretty sure this means I will need to use some other GT core to output to copper. Am I correct in saying this? 

I am using ISE 14.7 and the target device is a Spartan 6. This is my first design so let me know if I am completely off base. I am open to any suggestions on how to improve. Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SGMII ip core with a Spartan 6

Jump to solution

Hi

Yes your understanding is completely correct txdata and rxdata are not serial you have to use GT core(parallel to serial).

Xilinx SGMII Supports physical interface integrated device-specific transceiver interface.

Spartan-6 FPGA GTP Transceiver supports SGMII IP.

Link provided below

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/gig_eth_pcs_pma/v11_4/pg047-gig-eth-pcs-pma.pdf

Regards
Pratap

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi

Yes your understanding is completely correct txdata and rxdata are not serial you have to use GT core(parallel to serial).

Xilinx SGMII Supports physical interface integrated device-specific transceiver interface.

Spartan-6 FPGA GTP Transceiver supports SGMII IP.

Link provided below

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/gig_eth_pcs_pma/v11_4/pg047-gig-eth-pcs-pma.pdf

Regards
Pratap

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor ya_dingus
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks! This is what I thought. I implemented the SGMII core on a virtex7 board and that one actually included the transceiver. So I was surprised when the Spartan wasn't similar. Makes sense after looking at the user guides a bit more.

0 Kudos