UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor eugene393
Visitor

TX_ER is always asserted together with TX_EN during MAC packet transmission

I am using the AXI 1G/2.5G Ethernet Subsystem to send Ethernet packets coming from a Microblaze. The PHY being used is Marvel 88E1512 PHY. My project is built on top of the LWIP echo server example project.

The problem I have is that TX_ER and TX_EN on the GMII interface from the MAC are both simultaneously asserted (set to 1) during any packet transmission, indicating the the MAC is invalidating the packet it itself generated. I would like to ask what could be causing such behaviour. 

P.S. The system appears to have no issues receiving packets, only sending them . The checksums for outgoing packets are calculated using software XIlinx functions running on the Microblaze. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: TX_ER is always asserted together with TX_EN during MAC packet transmission

The reasons can be many.

I would 1st check out by inspecting the MAC tx registers, e.g. - Transmitter Configuration Word or a similar register.

As a second check I would configure the MAC such that the MAC can itself calc the FCS and add it to the frame instead of the uBlaze doing it (if that is supported by your MAC core).

If you have a tx_fifo in between the uBlaze and the MAC, then its signals must also be inspected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor eugene393
Visitor

Re: TX_ER is always asserted together with TX_EN during MAC packet transmission

Update:

Was mistaken about the spec for RGMII:

TXERR <= GMII_TX_ER (XOR) GMII_TX_EN
RXERR <= GMII_RX_ER (XOR) GMII_RX_DV

So there is no error on the TX side. The problem must be on the RX side of things. 

Nonetheless, thank you to everyone for your time and help. 

0 Kudos