cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Foxchild
Visitor
Visitor

Thread for a more comprehensive lwIP documentation

There are many attributes in the lwIP BSP configuration that I do not fully understand.

I will use this thread to ask about them one by one and in the end write a summary that is more thorough than the "Xilinx Standalone Library Documentation" (UG650, nov-18-2020).

Starting with TEMAC options ("parameters for the axi_ethernet and GigE adapters"):

n_tx_descriptors and n_rx_descriptors

Both are described as follows:
"Number of TX/RX descriptors to be used. For high performance systems there might be a need to use a higher value. Default is 64."

Here are my questions:

1. What is a TX/RX descriptor?
  2. Why is 64 the default?
  3. Why are higher values needed for "high performance systems"?
  4. What is the drawback of higher values?
  5. What is the maximum value?
  6. What does "high performance system" refer to? Like, "if my system is high performance", or "if I want to have a high performance system"?

Thank you very much in advance, and hopefully this will be a long thread with a comprehensive conclusion in the end.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
nanz

Hi @Foxchild , 

I am afraid we do not have more detailed documentation on Lwip parameters. 

Lwip is the open source that Xilinx packaged it into our tool as a library for ease of use by customers. Users are recommended to use lwip forum as the first place to go whenever see issues. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos