cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC and Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IPs - Auto-negotiation with Marvel 88E1111 phy

Hi,

I am using Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC along with Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IPs targetted to  Kintex 7 FPGA.

The GTX transceiver from the Kintex & FPGA is interfaced to a Finasar Copper SFP which has a Marvel 88E1111 phy internally.

I am trying to understand how the Host Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC will advertise capabilities including 10 or 100BaseT support towards the Phy?

From UG138 (TEMAC IP User guide), I do not find any description of Auto-negotiation support.

However there is a register "MAC Speed Configuration Word" where I can configure the MAC speed as 1Gbps or 100Mbps or 10Mbps.

From UG155 (Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IP user guide), SGMII Auto-Negotiation Advertisement in PHY Mode (Register 4) is defined. 

Does anyone have clarity on how the Host Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC will advertise capabilities including 10 or 100BaseT support towards the Phy?

Thanks

Louis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC and Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IPs - Auto-negotiation with Marvel 88E1111 phy

Hi @louisks 

The PHY performs Auto-Negotiation with its link partner.

The PHY then passes the results of the Auto-Negotiation process(operational speed and duplex mode) to the Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII core.

Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC Access the PCS/PMA Registers, via MDIO using the Management Interface.

Regards
Pratap

Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC and Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IPs - Auto-negotiation with Marvel 88E1111 phy

Dear @louisks ,

Have you been successful in bringging up auto-negotiation with "Ethernet 1000BASE-X PCS/PMA or SGMII IP" and "copper SFP"?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos