UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor phani023
Visitor

Unable to avoid GTXE2_COMMON primitive inference in Chipscope IBERT core

Hi,

I have generated a Chipscope IBERT core for one of the GTX lane (MGT1_117) in Kintex-7 FPGA using ISE version 14.6 coregen tool. I am not interested in using GTXE2_COMMON (Quad PLL) primitive, as my lane rate is very low which is 1.25Gbps. So i have un-checked the QUAD PLL option while generating the core. But still GTXE2_COMMON primitive is getting instantiated from the corresponding GTX_QUAD_117. I confirmed the same by importing implemented design to FPGA editor.

Can anybody suggest, how do i avoid GTXE2_COMMON primitive inference in IBERT core!

Thanks in Advance!

Phani.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Unable to avoid GTXE2_COMMON primitive inference in Chipscope IBERT core

Hi Phani,

It is not possible to disable the gtxe2_common from the IBERT design.

If you turn off the QPLL option in the IBERT core generation GUI then the design feeds the refclk to channels through CPLL. You can confirm this by viewing the design in FPGA editor.

Is there any specific reason why you would like to remove the common block from the design?

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Have a look at the below AR to know why a GT_common primitive is needed

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43339.html

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor phani023
Visitor

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your response and i understand from FPGA editor that refclk is routed to the channel through CPLL only. Then why GTXE2_COMMON primitive is unnecessarily getting instantiated??

In my design, i have to enable Two channels in the same QUAD. One channel using IBERT core and the second channel using SDI core. And i wanted to integrate both the channels to have a common FPGA image. SDI core definitely requires GTXE2_COMMON in my design. Hence the implementation tool throwing an error saying that, COMMON primitives are over mapped. How do i resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Phani.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phani,

IBERT is designed to be a core that takes over the GT control and data path, including the COMMON block.

In this case, you need to manually edit the IBERT core wrapper to remove the common primitive.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Visitor phani023
Visitor

Hi Krishna,

Actually i have already decided to modify the IBERT wrapper file. When i look into the top level wrapper, i understood that source codes are not provided and instead ".NGC" file is provided. Then how do i play with wrapper file when it is in ngc format?

Thanks,

Phani.

0 Kudos
Visitor phani023
Visitor

Hi Krishna,

Do you suggest any other way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Phani.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phani,

You are correct, the IBERT core is encrypted and you can remove the wrapper from this.

Try to use the common of the IBERT core with the other core. This ar can be of some help http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55369.html

Regards,
Krishna

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phani,

IBERT is used to check the quality of the channel. Is there a specific reason why you want to include this in your main design?

Regards,
Krishna

0 Kudos
Visitor phani023
Visitor

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your suggestion. But how do i use COMMON block of IBERT with other cores. For that, i need to bring out the "QPLLOUTCLK" from IBERT to connect QPLLINCLK for my custom GTX core, right?

The reason why i wanted to have IBERT in my main design is, i don't want any FPGA interfaces left un-tested in the final FPGA image, which i am gonna release to my customer. :)

Thanks,

Phani.

0 Kudos