cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

V6 Embedded TEMAC wrapper 2.2 Reference Design. How to assign IP address to perform a PING?

Jump to solution

I don't know if I should post this here or in the "Xilinx Boards and Kits" board.

The summarized version of this post: I would like to assign an IP address to a ML605 with the V6 Embedded Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC wrapper v2.2 Reference Design implemented, and try to do a PING with my PC. And I can't. 

I am playing with the V6 Embedded Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC v2.2, and for the moment I am trying to see how the Reference Design works on my ML605 board.

I followed the instructions in UG800 .

The ML605 has a label with a MAC ID, which I introduced as the Unicast Pause MAC Address, and then I followed the instructions on page 218 to test the implementation with a PC. Wireshark shows the traffic and the data pattern correctly.

But when I try to assign an IP to the board, I always fail. If I do:

>arp -s <IP_NUMBER> <ML605_MAC_ADRESS>
>ping <IP_NUMBER>

nothing happens. Chipscope shows that the data do not arrive to the RX_FIFO and Wireshark shows that there is not traffic. The only way to achieve something is to do a broadcast ping, then Wireshark shows the data traffic and I can see the data inside the FPGA with Chipscope. However, the destination address in the data package is FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF instead of my ML605 MAC ID. 

Is there any way to assign in the PC an IP address with the ML605 MAC ID so I can perform a PING (not broadcast)? This way the data package should have the MAC ID of my board as the destination address field.

Thank you for your time
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

The fact that Wireshark shows no traffic seems to imply that the PC doesn't know how to

route the address to a port.  Make sure that the Ethernet port you're using has a fixed IP

address assigned and that the IP address and mask match up with the IP address you

assigned to the board MAC address.

For example, set the PC port IP address to 192.168.1.3, set the mask to 255.255.255.0

and set the board IP address to 192.168.1.18 like

arp -s 192.168.1.318 <board MAC address>

Then at least you have a chance of seeing the ping hit the board.  Still I don't think

that the TEMAC wrapper example will do anything with the ping packet unless you

have the LWIP stuff running on top of it.

-- Gabor

Edit:  I got the IP addresses mixed up...

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Professor
Professor

The fact that Wireshark shows no traffic seems to imply that the PC doesn't know how to

route the address to a port.  Make sure that the Ethernet port you're using has a fixed IP

address assigned and that the IP address and mask match up with the IP address you

assigned to the board MAC address.

For example, set the PC port IP address to 192.168.1.3, set the mask to 255.255.255.0

and set the board IP address to 192.168.1.18 like

arp -s 192.168.1.318 <board MAC address>

Then at least you have a chance of seeing the ping hit the board.  Still I don't think

that the TEMAC wrapper example will do anything with the ping packet unless you

have the LWIP stuff running on top of it.

-- Gabor

Edit:  I got the IP addresses mixed up...

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The TEMAC core only takes care of the MAC layer (layer 2 in OSI 7 layer model). You will need higer layer (layer 3) HW or SW to handle IP. XAPP1026 LightWeight IP (lwIP) Application Examples shows how to handle IP in SW. (By the way, download Xilinx Document Navigator to manage all Xilinx documents).

@eustaquio wrote:

I don't know if I should post this here or in the "Xilinx Boards and Kits" board.

The summarized version of this post: I would like to assign an IP address to a ML605 with the V6 Embedded Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC wrapper v2.2 Reference Design implemented, and try to do a PING with my PC. And I can't. 

I am playing with the V6 Embedded Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC v2.2, and for the moment I am trying to see how the Reference Design works on my ML605 board.

I followed the instructions in UG800 .

The ML605 has a label with a MAC ID, which I introduced as the Unicast Pause MAC Address, and then I followed the instructions on page 218 to test the implementation with a PC. Wireshark shows the traffic and the data pattern correctly.

But when I try to assign an IP to the board, I always fail. If I do:

>arp -s <IP_NUMBER> <ML605_MAC_ADRESS>
>ping <IP_NUMBER>

nothing happens. Chipscope shows that the data do not arrive to the RX_FIFO and Wireshark shows that there is not traffic. The only way to achieve something is to do a broadcast ping, then Wireshark shows the data traffic and I can see the data inside the FPGA with Chipscope. However, the destination address in the data package is FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF instead of my ML605 MAC ID. 

Is there any way to assign in the PC an IP address with the ML605 MAC ID so I can perform a PING (not broadcast)? This way the data package should have the MAC ID of my board as the destination address field.

Thank you for your time

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

See Link below, AR#43330, Virtex-5 Embedded Tri-Mode Ethernet MAC Wrapper - Debugging and Packet Analysis Guide

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43330.htm

This is for V-5 but shows the steps needed to ping a the board. Maybe you are missing something

Also have you got administrative access in CMD?

Try:

Start > "Search Programs and files" > Type "CMD" hold ctrl & shift the press Enter.

Then try your arp from their

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Dear all.

Thank you all of you for your your time. I followed the gszakacs instructions (which are almost the same that the steps in the document linked by ckinnea) and everything worked. I think that my WiFi card was interfering somehow when I tried the first time.

0 Kudos