cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

VCU128 Ethernet and PHY_RESET Problem

We are using the IPI project corresponding to the VCU128 board for testing and found that the network cannot be pinged. After querying the internal code of IPI, I found that although the Ethernet core was added to the VIVADO project of IPI, there are no related functions in the SDK code, nor is there any initialization code for the Ethernet part (the related functions in Menu.c are also Commented out). In addition, we also checked the related projects of lwip_server, but the clock source inside does not correspond to the hardware of the VCU128 board, and the debugging information looks like the code copy of ZCU102, which is very strange.

I would like to ask, is there any network test project that can be directly used by VCU128 boards?

If there is no case for reference, how should we deal with PHY_reset when we design the Ethernet part ourselves? Do I need to give the reset signal indirectly through IIC (the schematic of the VCU128 board, the reset signal seems to need to pass through an IIC IO expansion chip)? What are the specific timings of this reset signal?

Best Regards

1.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: VCU128 Ethernet and PHY_RESET Problem

5.JPG

The clock chip model and output printing information here do not correspond to the VCU128 board

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

In addition, we tried the .bit file in the "ping" folder in "rdf0491-vcu128-ipi-c-2019-1", which also does not work

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @wuyouniyanhu ,

Can you check if you may hit this issue?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69494.html

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @wuyouniyanhu ,

i just tried the same design rdf0491-vcu128-ipi-c-2019-1 at my end in 2019.1 on my hard ware and could ping the board

ping_vcu128.PNG

Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I also see that phy_rst is not driven from Ethernet IP but it is driven from I/O expander through iic_phyreset.c . 

ZCU102 section is not executed  for this  board.

phy_rst.PNG

may be at you end there could be hardware or set issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your reply, but we did not find the path "vcu128_ipi \ hw_test \ lwip_test" in your screenshot in the compressed package of rdf0491-vcu128-ipi-c-2019-1, please ask where the information under this file path should be?

In addition, we see that the IIC in the iic_phyreset.c file seems to be on the FPGA-PS side. Is there any iic_phyreset case code available on the PL side of VCU128?

Best Regards !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

After running Vivado flow for the design I exported it to SDK and then generated lwip standard application.

On iic_phyreset.c what you mean by PS side? Design has AXI_IIC PL interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Which specific case in the SDK you tested? I try to reproduce your experiment to determine if there is a hardware problem. Do I need to set up freertos version?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

After exporting the hardware, we loaded the case in the SDK, but a lot of strange errors occurred and the compilation failed. It would be great if you could guide us to detailed steps to make it possible to reproduce your test

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I followed below steps

1.Launch SDK

2.Select Create Application Project

3.Target your hardware platform {vcu128 ipi design hdf }

4.Given a project name, rest all default options, click Next

5.Select Lwip_echo_server from available Templates then Click Finish

6.Build

7.Ran generated elf on board..

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There were different issues with the staying 40, however most by far of them had a similar issue tellthebell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your patience and help

We probably located the problem, because our VCU128 board was connected to the local area network through the switch, and it automatically ran DHCP to apply for a new IP(10.30.5.102), which made us unable to ping 192.168.1.10 directly.

However, it is still doubtful that the DHCP part of the SDK's lwip_echo_server code is not compiled. Why can the function of applying for the IP be run instead of configuring it as 192.168.1.10 directly when the board is initialized?

In addition, we saw in the SDK project that the code of iic_phyreset.c and i2c_access.c were not compiled. So where is the code that enables the IIC IP core of the PL hardware to generate the reset signal?

DHCP.JPG

DHCP_UART.jpg

Only when it is directly connected to the computer, perhaps because there is no DHCP server, VCU128 will configure itself with 192.168.1.10 after DHCP timeout (this is not in accordance with the description of readme):

DHCP_TimeoutUART.jpg

Looking forward to your reply .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thank you for your patience and help

We probably located the problem, because our VCU128 board was connected to the local area network through the switch, and it automatically ran DHCP to apply for a new IP, which made us unable to ping 192.168.1.10 directly.

However, it is still doubtful that the DHCP part of the SDK's lwip_echo_server code is not compiled. Why can the function of applying for the IP be run instead of configuring it as 192.168.1.10 directly when the board is initialized?

In addition, we saw in the SDK project that the code of iic_phyreset.c and i2c_access.c were not compiled. So where is the code that enables the IIC IP core of the PL hardware to generate the reset signal?

Only when it is directly connected to the computer, perhaps because there is no DHCP server, VCU128 will configure itself with 192.168.1.10 after DHCP timeout (this is not in accordance with the description of readme)

Looking forward to your reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Here, due to conditional compilation in the SDK project, the code you mentioned may not be actually compiled because the conditions are not met at the beginning of iic_phyreset.c

Conditional compilation.JPG

In addition, I think "XIicPs_MasterSendPolled" here should refer to the related function of the PS IIC module in ZCU102, not the PL part in VCU128

Conditional compilation 2 .JPG

0 Kudos