UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Why isn't the GMII to RGMII core available for Artix-7 devices

Jump to solution

Hi,

Might be a stupid question, but I want to know why is the GMII to RGMII  core not available for the AC701 development board.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/gmii-to-rgmii.html

I have a requirement which necessiates the generation and use this core in the AC701 board.

Can anyone please answer?

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Why isn't the GMII to RGMII core available for Artix-7 devices

Jump to solution

Hi

The Temac core is always have an GMII interface and for other PHY types the convertor logic will be delivered as unencrypted files doing the conversion  and you can refer them if you want by generating an TEMAC core with RGMII Phy type in Artix/

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

d,

There are no stupid questions.

IP cores are generally what are popular, and requested.  There are a nearly infinite variety of them we could be working on, but what we do is look at past history (how many downloads, etc.), look at current requests, and look at enhancing features and new or modified standards.  Then we assign priorities, and go to work.

I suggest you consult with your distributor or local Xilinx FAE,

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

Artix-7 does not have embeded ethernet MACs.  Since you would already be using a soft MAC (TEMAC core from Xilinx, for instance) there is no need to translate GMII to RGMII, because the MAC can already be configured with RGMII for its PHY interface.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi

The Temac core is always have an GMII interface and for other PHY types the convertor logic will be delivered as unencrypted files doing the conversion  and you can refer them if you want by generating an TEMAC core with RGMII Phy type in Artix/

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Jump to solution

Hi Austin,

I think I understand what you want me to do. :-)

FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

It's possible that Xilinx didn't want to have to re-vamp the IP just so it could be used in A7 devices. 

A7 series devices have no HP banks; they only have HR banks. ODELAYs are not supported in 7 Series HR banks.

The standard, current GMII-to-RGMII core provides an option to add ODELAYs to the RGMII (TX) outputs. Xilinx would have had to re-do the IP to inhibit that option when the IP was used in A7 chips. 

-Joe G.

0 Kudos