UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor ianas
Visitor

Xilinx 10BASE-R PHY Latency [Virtex7]

Hi,

Could please somebody explain, as I could not figure out, what is the extra functionality in Xilinx 10G PHY that causes ~20 cycles of latency on both RX and TX sides? I mean, excluding the GTH, according the documentation. 64/66 coding is done by the GTH, scrambling/descrambling should take 1 cycle... so I'm a bit puzzled, what else is happening there.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor ianas
Visitor

Re: Xilinx 10BASE-R PHY Latency [Virtex7]

Well... Anyone? :)

0 Kudos

Are you referring to GT wizard design?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor ianas
Visitor

No, the 10gig pcs/pma core (http://www.xilinx.com/products/intellectual-property/10gbase-r.html). It looks like excluding the GTH delay it takes ~150ns to process a single transfer word for the pcs/pma pipeline. I know that there are lower latency solutions, so I'm curious what takes so "long" for the Xilinx one.

I've started to experiment with naked GTH and custom scrambler/coder, but I haven't got far yet for various reasons.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Please refer page 5 of below doc to know the blocks implemented in the fabric.

The elastic buffer,64b66b encoding, scrambler all add up to the latency caused though the core

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/ten_gig_eth_pcs_pma/v6_0/pg068-ten-gig-eth-pcs-pma.pdf

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos