Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

ZCU102 10G Ethernet subsystem using SFP+ direct attach adapter

Jump to solution

Hi folks,

I'm testing the 10G/25G Ethernet Subsystem example design from xapp1305 on the ZCU102, and connecting a SFP+ DAC (direct connect) adapter to a 10GE switch. I've tried the xapp1305 images and built my own with same exact results.

The ZCU102 Si570 MGT clock is set with SCUI to 156.25 MHz as expected.

There's no boot log messages for this interface, other than the expected "xilinx_axienet 80010000.ethernet: couldn't find phy i/f".

U-Boot only sees PS GEM3 as eth0, from "mii device".

Attached below is a sequence showing the eth1 being set up from the console.

Notice the link state going from "DOWN" to "UNKNOWN" after being set "UP". This would indicate the interface operational state is not known, such as not detecting a cable.

For completion, I added the output of ethtool and phytool, added to the rootfs due to not being present in the Linux build from the xapp1305 reference design.

The 10GE switch from Mikrotik indicates the SFP+ DAC adapter and cable also from Mikrotik is supported, so the ZCU102 capability to support it is in question.

I haven't seen any reference in the forums regarding these SFP+ DAC cables, so the question is are they expected to work? What could be missing?

Thanks in advance,

-Pat

Give kudos if helpful. Accept as solution if it solves your problem.
https://tuxengineering.com/blog

Screenshot 2020-06-11-12:47:18-Selection_01.png
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @nanz 

Thanks for your response. I can verify that the setup using the switch worked as expected, using the ZCU102 and our custom platform (xzcu39dr). The root issue was on the default switch configuration, not on the PL 10GBe interface.

Thanks again,

-Pat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nanz

HI @patocarr ,

This setup is definitely one of those we have not tested. Could you please check in a supported setup first to make sure the design is working as expected first. This is to isolate the setup issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @nanz 

Thanks for your response. I can verify that the setup using the switch worked as expected, using the ZCU102 and our custom platform (xzcu39dr). The root issue was on the default switch configuration, not on the PL 10GBe interface.

Thanks again,

-Pat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Hello, I'm trying to connect the 10GE/25GE subsystem to the PS IP in IP Integrator block design. Would you be willing to share your design? Maybe you could export the design in TCL so I could recreate the block design, or maybe you could take a screen shot of the block design? 

Respectfully,

Joe

0 Kudos
patocarr
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @joe306 

The design is basically xapp1305 with more instances of the 10GbE core. Give that a shot first. I'm not sure I can share the design as it's "proprietary", i.e. done under contract.

Thanks,

-Pat

joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Will do. Thank you

0 Kudos