Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jksmtpcb
Visitor
Visitor

Zedboard Ethernet 0 exposed to PL, PTP Interface

Hi,

I'm working on a simple example to inspect PTP interface and Ethernet packets on Zedboard. I was able to run official xilinx example xemacps_ieee1588 and it seems to work fine. (Setup is the following -> VM ubuntu on PC with ptp4l sends PTP messages over the ethernet to the Zedboard) i can see the PTP interface works.

Now I would like to capture Ethernet packets via System ILA but so far couldn't find the right solution. Found on ug585 page 509 this 

However, implementation requires access to the packet data stream itself. In order to have access to
the packet data stream, the controller needs to be pinned-out through the EMIO using GMII, instead
of MIO. By selecting this option, the GMII signals are exposed to the PL and can be used to detect
and capture the PTP packets. Note that it is still possible to use the PTP frame recognition in the
MAC, or it is possible to design this function in the PL as well (e.g., if support for unicast packets is
required).

I've tried that but it doesn't work.

Does anyone have some solution to the problem?

Here is my block diagram: 

bloc_dia_1.png

System ILA captures PTP interface

RX_sync_1.png

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nanz

Hi @jksmtpcb ,

If you change to GMII interface, what is connected on the other side of the link?

I would suggest checking first the GMII interface packets and set trigger on start of frame delimiter 0x5D first (without running PTP) and see if that works for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jksmtpcb
Visitor
Visitor

I've connected it to the FMC connector which is not used because if I got it right ethernet 0 should be routed to the GMII interface where I would catch packets with system ILA.

GMII is completely dead, nothing can be seen on system ILA.

Is there any other way to get the ethernet packets except using ethernet IP ?

0 Kudos
nanz

Hi @jksmtpcb ,

I am not sure if I understand "Is there any other way to get the ethernet packets except using ethernet IP ?"

Can you please explain what is your final goal and what you are trying to do with your system?

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

0 Kudos