cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

aurora v5_2 duplex 8B10B rx elastic buffer underflow

2 virtex5 boards are connected via aurora v5_2 duplex 8B10B - 2 GTP tiles = 4 channels streaming duplex topology, 1 REF_CLK pin = 156,25 MHz, line rate 3,125 Gbit, using 20cm 6,25Gbit cable.
HARD_ERROR occurs occasionaly, only on 1 and always the same channel, in groups of rx_buf_err occurances due to rx_buff underflow, followed by
rxnotintable 4 user_clk cycles later, and rxdsiperr 43 user_clk cycles later

V2 answer record 14920 offer to increase the nr of cc chars: "have the TX side of your design insert more clock correction characters" but this seems not to apply to tile macros infered by coregen.
question:
should i make use of ug196 table 7-27 "Separate Reference Clocks, RX uses RXRECCLK" and connect RXRECCLK also as user_clk thus disabling clock correction?

cheers, sean

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Can you try with aurora_8b10b_v5_3 core?

CC characters are being transmitted from standard_cc_module and example design of aurora_8b10b_v5_2 core had a bug which prevents CC transmission. It got fixed in aurora_8b10b_v5_3 core.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

as I just wrote Wendy Duffy,

v6.1 is used (didn't find any aurora_8b10b v5.3)

Very Important:

I also have prepared a design where cc_module is left unconnected, I'm testing it right now, it also shows the exact same behaviour.

thank you for your time,

Sean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

SOLUTION:

invert the reset to the standard_cc_module. it's defined as "all lanes up"

lane_up_reduce_i    <=  AND_REDUCE(lane_up_i);
and acts as an active_high reset inside standard_cc_module, therefore when all lane are up, clock correction symbols (enabled by signal DO_CC) are NEVER GENERATED.

workaround:

-- (this signal should actually now be called "one_or_more_lanes_are_down"!!!)

lane_up_reduce_i    <=  NOT(AND_REDUCE(lane_up_i));

when telling Erik Schidlack (Xilinx) about the cc_module reset scheme he couldn't believe..

thanx again Erik!

0 Kudos