cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

implementing TEMAC core on spartan3e board (without processord)

Jump to solution

hi

I just want to start implementing temac example design on the spartan3e board. as I dont find the xilinx's documents useful, I would appreciate if you help me step by step. here are my questions :

1- should I use DCM to generate required clocks? if no, how should I generate them?

2- Is the reset in example desing active low?

3- how can I test temac core working? (How can I ping when my board does not have IP?)

4- how can I measure temac performance?

5- any other recommendation?

sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: implementing TEMAC core on spartan3e board (without processord)

Jump to solution

and another step forward :))

when I ping I can not capture the pakets that come from board. so I write a simple socket in c. I create a raw socket to send packets in datalink layer (and to the MAC address which I choose for my board) and now I can recive the packets I've sent to the board. and everything is ok!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

When you say "temac example design" I assume you are talking about the one generated from CoreGen. If yes, the example design includes testbench as well as implementaion scripts. I suggest you play with the example a little bit to understand how things work

To debug any Ethernet design, a network snipper will come handy. I would recommend a free tool called "wireshark" ( http://www.wireshark.org ). The example design loops back packets.  When you connect the board to your PC, the PC will automatically send some packets (e.g. ARP packets). If you see the packets coming back from the board in wireshark, you will know that the TEMAC core works in the FPGA.

Regarding the performance, you may want to contact the tech supoort to get an earlier version of xapp1026 that includes a reference design for Spartan3E.

@Anonymous wrote:

hi

I just want to start implementing temac example design on the spartan3e board. as I dont find the xilinx's documents useful, I would appreciate if you help me step by step. here are my questions :

1- should I use DCM to generate required clocks? if no, how should I generate them?

2- Is the reset in example desing active low?

3- how can I test temac core working? (How can I ping when my board does not have IP?)

4- how can I measure temac performance?

5- any other recommendation?

sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jim
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

thanks for your reply.

yes I am working with example design which coregen has generated. I generate the core without host and with MII. in my code I assign the configuration vector. but when I download the bitstream none of the LEDs are on. 

what do you suggest me to do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Which board? Which LEDs? The first thing I would check is to make sure that LOC constraints for all IOs in the UCF match the board.

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for your reply.

yes I am working with example design which coregen has generated. I generate the core without host and with MII. in my code I assign the configuration vector. but when I download the bitstream none of the LEDs are on. 

what do you suggest me to do?

Cheers,
Jim
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I am working on my own board which has a spartan3e FPGA. I've checked its ethernet peripheral with microblaze before. this board has a smsc LAN83C185 phy and 3 LEDs. 1-Link On indication.Active indicates that the Link
(100Base-TX or 10Base-T) is on 2-ACTIVITY indication. Active indicates that there is Carrier sense (CRS) from the active PMD. 3-speed 100 indication

I check my UCF file and it's ok.

I configure my temac core with configuration vector.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

one step forward ...

I have some problem with the reset now I fix it and all my three LEDs are on. but I can not capture any packets from my board. I appreciate your suggestions ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

and another step forward :))

when I ping I can not capture the pakets that come from board. so I write a simple socket in c. I create a raw socket to send packets in datalink layer (and to the MAC address which I choose for my board) and now I can recive the packets I've sent to the board. and everything is ok!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos