cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
microchip_zhang
Explorer
Explorer

it is essential to initialize the phy chip or not? where the axi_ethernet ip core initialize the phy chip?

it is essential  to initialize the phy chip or not? where the  axi_ethernet ip core   initialize the phy chip?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nanz

Hi @microchip_zhang ,

The PHY initialization is normally done in the source codes. I'd recommend to look at SDK LWIP example designs and run the application on one of our evaluation boards. Here is also an AR to use LWIP when the PHY is not supported out-of-box:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63495.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs and our Versal Ethernet Sticky Note.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dpaul24
Scholar
Scholar

@microchip_zhang,

It depends on what you want to implement in the PHY layer. If the default config of the PHY chip are acceptable to your design then you don't change else you should.

An Ethernet MAC can configure PHY chips over the MDIO/MDC interface. A simple state machine can do that before you rx or tx frames using the PHY.

------------FPGA enthusiast------------
Consider giving "Kudos" if you like my answer. Please mark my post "Accept as solution" if my answer has solved your problem

microchip_zhang
Explorer
Explorer

thanks to all of you

0 Kudos