UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer bcstoko
Observer

xapp1305 on ZCU102 with optical sfp not working

Hi all,

I have a ZCU102 board, rev. 1.1. Vivado/Petalinux 2018.3 environment.

The xapp1305 (ps_emio_eth_1g, PS GEM through EMIO) works with electrical SFP modules but optical SFP modules are failing. I do not get a link established with optical SFP modules between ZCU102 and switch. I tried SFP modules from FS and finisar (1000BASE-X). These SFP modules are working between the switch and PCs. I also tried these optical SFP modules with custom FPGA boards (XCZU4EV Ultrascale+ device) where they are working. I also tried IBERT with success on all 4 SFP ports (1.25GBit/s) with exactly the same SFP modules.

With the electrical SFP module the status Vector is 0x180B (RUDI (/I/) = 1, Link Synchronisation = 1 and Link Status =1), regardless of the switch setting (AN (autonegotiation) on/off). The signal an_interrupt = 1.

With the optical SFP module the status Vector is 0x080A (RUDI (/I/) = 1, Link Synchronisation = 1 and Link Status =0), switch setting AN off

With the optical SFP module the status Vector is 0x0806 (RUDI (/C/) = 1, Link Synchronisation = 1 and Link Status =0), switch setting AN on

The signal an_interrupt = 0 in both failing cases.

It looks like the PCS/PMA is receiving Idle pattern and synchronizes, but why is it not sending any pattern to the switch?

Any ideas why the optical SFP module is not working?

Best regards,

Torsten

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: xapp1305 on ZCU102 with optical sfp not working

Hi @bcstoko ,

Yes, XAPP1305 PS GEM (1G) would fail in optical SFP.

For 1G 1000BASE-X validation, Cisco GLC-T 1000BASE-X Ethernet to SFP Module is used(SN : AGM170623ZT).For 1G SGMII validation, Cisco GLC-T 1000BASE-T 100m RJ45 Ethernet to SFP Module is used(SN : CLS10310606).For 10G, Solarflare's SFN6322F Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ Adapter is the NIC that has been used; and together with Avago afbr-709smz optical to Ethernet SFP+ module.

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: xapp1305 on ZCU102 with optical sfp not working

Do you enable AN?

0 Kudos
Observer bcstoko
Observer

回复: xapp1305 on ZCU102 with optical sfp not working

I know that xapp1305 has been tested with electrical SFP/SFP+ modules. The electrical SFP module is working in my design.

My question is, what do I have to do to get optical SFP (1GbE) working? I tested all 4 combinations of AN on/off (switch and ZCU102), nothing works. How can I debug this further? The jumpers on ZCU102 board are all set (J16, J17, J42, J54), connecting SFPx_TX_DISABLE_TRANS to GND.

Regards,

Torsten

0 Kudos