UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

zcu102 sfp+ loopback test : couldn't find phy i/f

Hello guys, 

I am trying to test the Xapp 1305 on my zcu102 board. Since I don't have 2 boards available, I am using the ML4026 SFP loopback adapter. I already did a ping on the zcu102 board (running Linux) by pinging the i.p address of the 10G interface enumerated as eth1. I then checked the /proc/net/dev file and found that the same packets sent on the eth1 interface were received on the same interface without errors. I am not sure if this is how it works. Is this the way to do a loopback test on the SFP loopback module? Please see the attached image.photo_2019-11-25_11-06-43.jpg

My conclusion was that if there are 866bytes of data sent and received on the interface, then it's working. But I am not really sure about that since (as you can see) a dmesg of the interface brings up the "couldn't find phy i/f ". I tried to look at the datasheet of the module and found no way to test it. Probably this is a dumb question with a very simple solution, but I am a bit lost here. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: zcu102 sfp+ loopback test : couldn't find phy i/f

Hi @alexkeys ,

Which SFP ports are you using to do loopback on a board?

Are these SFP ports enabled and pin constrained in hardware design?

Regards

Praveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @pvenugo ,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using only one of the four ports available - the SFP0 to be specific (top right). 

To answer your second question:

1. For the prebuilt files, I guess I don't have to enable anything. It just has to work.
  2. The top left was not working so I checked the project files that came with xapp1305 and realized in the PCW settings that they used X0Y0 (or something similar, basically the first one of the four available in the settings GUI) and they constrained the pins in the xdc file to the top right (E4 and D2 I think) 

In both of these, the results were the same whenever I tried to connect to the 10G interface, eth1 (the error I am asking about)4. A senior co-worker told me there is no way to do a hardware loopback test yet. So now I am in a bit of a dilemma

0 Kudos
Visitor luojf9
Visitor

i also meet the same error

how do you solve this problem?

what can i do?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hey @alexkeys,

I assume you're talking about the 10G XAPP1305 design, correct?

If so, that "couldn't find phy i/f" message is expected, since the 10G core does not have an MDIO interface to tie in to the phydev framework. You can safely ignore this message.

Thanks,

Clayton