UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor fischerjd
Visitor

C-based video frame capture w/ XUPV2P and VDEC1 daughter board

I work for the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Missouri. (Among other things, I am the tech support person for the department.) Our department has has some XUP Virtex-II Pro (XUPV2P) development boards and one “VDEC1” video decoder daughter board. One of the faculty members in the department would like to use an XUPV2P board with the VDEC1 daughter card as a simple video frame capture system for an undergraduate computer engineering course. The students who will be using this system are familiar with C programming, but not Verilog or VHDL. With this in mind, we need to develop a C-based API that the students can use to write C programs (that will run on the XUPV2P) that can acquire a single frame of video data from the system.

The graduate student who is working on this project found a video capture demo program* on Digilent Inc.'s website for this hardware that accepts video data from the VDEC1 daughter card and “echoes” the video out the XUPV2P’s XSGA port. Using Xilinx’s EDK v8.1i she successfully compiled the demo and used it to capture video with the system.

* http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/XUPV2P/video_capture_rev_1_1.zip

We would now like to hack this demo code, if possible, to allow us to slurp up a single frame of video with a C program that's running on the XUPV2P board. The big picture goal is to have the undergraduate students write C programs for the XUPV2P that do simple image processing tasks on the captured video data.

Unfortunately, we are pretty much stuck at this point. None of us are experts at Verilog, we're just beginning to use Xilinx's EDK/SDK development tools, and the grad student who's doing the bulk of this work is leaving at the end of the Spring 2009 term (her faculty advisor wants her to include this work in her Master's thesis). If someone is familiar with this video capture setup and can offer some suggestions as to how to proceed—i.e., how to write C code that runs on the XUPV2P that can capture a single frame of video from the system, that would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, I suspect we (she) will also want to install and use an SDRAM DIMM module on the XUPV2P board to make more memory available for the video frame data analysis software. Any suggestions about getting started using an SDRAM DIMM module, and accessing that memory from a C program on the XUPV2P, would also be appreciated.

Jim Fischer

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

University of Missouri - Columbia

Columbia, MO  65211

Message Edited by fischerjd on 03-26-2009 07:15 AM
Message Edited by fischerjd on 03-26-2009 07:16 AM
Message Edited by fischerjd on 03-26-2009 07:16 AM
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Observer voroshazi
Observer

Re: C-based video frame capture w/ XUPV2P and VDEC1 daughter board

Dear Jim,

I used earlier the same Digilent VDEC-1 card with XUPV2P board.

Here is a detailed description of the vdec-1 implementation, and system installation (good starting point to development):

http://www.ece.tamu.edu/~reddy/ee449/labs/lab5.pdf

(originated from Texas A&M University,)

The hardware design was implemented in verilog, as you know. But there are a lot of good books about verilog hdl theme  (on the above links you can find some lab documentations).

(You must modify the original verilog source files, in order to capture a still frame from video flow. )

Are you using EDK 8.1 or newer (e.g. 10.1) version?

Because, if you are employing the 10.1 with SP3 platform developer kit (here is the latest http://http://www.xilinx.com/univ/XUPV2P/lib/lib_xupv2p_edk_10_1_sp3.zip)

In this version you can easily connect and reach the external on-board DDR-SDRAM into your EDK design (accross MPMC memory controller). See the manuals in edk. 

Cheers

Zsolt Vörösházi

0 Kudos

Re: C-based video frame capture w/ XUPV2P and VDEC1 daughter board

Hello,

My name is Ramona, I am a student in the final year at the Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications from Timisoara(Romania) and I am making my Diploma Project using the Virtex II-Pro board from Xilinx. I also have the video decoder board - VDEC1 and i have tried to compile the project "Video Capture"using EDK 10.1 but i did not get any result.

I am using as video source a Canon Camera (PowerShot A700) with COMPOSITE video output.

From what you have written on the forum, you managed to compile and see the results for this project.

Could you please give me some advices...

Thanks a lot!

With respect,

Ramona

0 Kudos