UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mustafa60
Visitor

Can I drive HDMI output by discarding the ADV7511 in ZC702 board?

Hi all,

My aim is to intarface with a 720p camera but dont wanna use the ADV7511 transmitter. I will use color space converter and chroma sampler to convert YCbCr to RGB after manipulating the data like scaling.As ı understand from the datasheet of ZC702 board, to use HDMI output we should send the data as 16 bit YCbCr. However, I dont want to use the ADV7511 HDMI transmitter and just wanna use the tmds information(data and clk infos) to drive the HDMI with RGB color space. Can you give any advice?.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Can I drive HDMI output by discarding the ADV7511 in ZC702 board?

You can't do it with the built-in HDMI port. You could potentially use an FMC card with a HDMI connector. The Zynq can definitely drive HDMI directly (although at limited resolutions); see the Zybo schematic for an example.

Visitor mustafa60
Visitor

thanks,
I dont wanna use the FMC card for this purpose, can I take outputs from the ZC702 board as output and connect them to HDMI cable by cutting the cable and connecting with headers?. Can this way give any damage to the board ?
0 Kudos

Hi @mustafa60 

I do not think you can by-pass the ADV7511 without damaging the board.

You can maybe find a PMOD  with a HDMI connector. But is seems that what you can find would be personal projects. For example:

https://hackaday.io/page/5702-dvi-hdmi-pmod-for-an-ice40-fpga

Is there a reason why you do not want to have a YCbCr output? Note that the ADV7511 can also do the conversion Ycbcr <> RGB?

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos