UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

FPGA kit connecting with 16 high speed ADCS, 500MSPS

Jump to solution

Dear friends,

I am a newbie for FPGA. I am looking for a FPGA development kit which could connect with sixteen ADCs.  We decided to use four ADS54J66 EVM of TI which has four ADCs in one evaluation board. Could anyone give me some suggestions of this connection between FPGA kit and four ADC evaluation boards? BTW, the interface of FPGA kit and ADC board is JESD204B. Can Xilinx Zynq-7000 control four ADC boards simultaneously? If so, how?

Many thanks for your kind reply.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: FPGA kit connecting with 16 high speed ADCS, 500MSPS

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 As said earlier, it will boil down to your preferences of what you want to do or at least start off doing with the Eval Boards. Zynq gives you ARM + PL while the Virtex is pure PL with high resources. 

Only you will know what you plan to do or what your project is :) 

I would also suggest you to get in touch with one of our Authorized Distributors and talk to them about your project plan or what you plan to do. They will be glad to help you choose the right board. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

What kind of FPGA boards is much more suitable?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 Using FMC ADC Daughter cards is the best way to go. Check this link for the FMC based ADC's available.

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/bk-keyword-search.html?type=boardskits&analytics=Boards-and-Kits&searchKeywords=adc   Filter using FMC - Daughter Cards 

Some even have example designs for specific Eval Boards

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi gnarahar,

Sorry for late reply and many thanks for your answer. However, my problem is want to find a FPGA development board which can support four ADC Evaluation Boards with JESD204B interface. For our project, the first is to setup the system with a FPGA development board and one ADC Evaluation board, and next step is using four ADC Evaluation board. In advance, we try to find a FPGA development board which can support one ADC Evaluation Board at first step, very easy to find, and support four ADC Evaluation Boards in the future as well.

0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution
could you give me some suggestions to solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 As I suggested, look at the FMC Daughter cards and see which Eval Boards are supported with reference designs to get you started. Generally all Eval Boards with FMC connectors should be compatible to the ADC FMC Daughter cards. 

Based on that, you can decide which Eval Board to buy. 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi gnarahar,

Thanks for your reply.

You mean not matter HPC or LPC will support the ADC FMC Daughter cards?

And I have searched the website you sent to me and do not find any card meet my demands. Our requirement is 16 channel 14-bit 500Msps AD FMC card. The  max channel of FMC card with 500Msps is 4 channels. Assuming LPC supports ADC FMC Daughter cards, and if I choose ZC706, the max channel that ZC706 development kit will support is 8 channels since ZC706 has a HPC and a LPC slot. It cannot achieve 16 channels. Could you give me some other ideas? Many many thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 If you want all 16-channels in one go, then you will need to look at building your custom FMC card with the required ADC's 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

@gnarahar

Hi gnarahar, thanks, I think so. If I design my own 16 channels ADC board. I plan to use TI ADC chip which has 4 channels in one chip. Could ZC706 support 16 channels ADC or not since I find ZC706 has only 8 GT? If it couldn't, how about VC707?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 Fidus seems to have an 8-channel ADC FMC , TB-FMCH-8AD250 that mates with VC707. Try checking that option of using 2 of those onto the 2 HPC of VC707 to see if it meets your requirement 

http://fidus.com/products-list/analog-digital-converters/ 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

@gnaraharYes, that is. But in the future I also need design a ADC board including 16 channels. So, my problem is moved onto: Could ZC706 support 16 channels? As I mentioned the VC706 only has 8 GT, if it couldn't, I should change to another board which has 16 transceivers.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 VC707 seems to be best suited to your needs. If you don't need the ARM processor, then you are better off to go with VC707 than with ZC706. Yes, ZC706 doesn't support 16-channel GT. It has only 8 GT routed to FMC. 

Do evaluate what other stuff you will want to use the board for and then it should make your decision easier. Right now, for just your 16-channel ADC, VC707 is a better bet. 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution

@gnaraharThank you very much for your kind reply. I think I get the right answer.

BTW, may I ask you one more question:

1. If I practice with ZC706 development kit, could I make my own design board changing to Virtex-7 chip easily in the future? Bcz ZC706 is cheaper and Zynq has much more support from MATLAB and Simulink comparing with VC707(my opinion). For I am good at Matlab but not Verilog, I think ZC706 is a good board to start with my project.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@mayuzhen123 As said earlier, it will boil down to your preferences of what you want to do or at least start off doing with the Eval Boards. Zynq gives you ARM + PL while the Virtex is pure PL with high resources. 

Only you will know what you plan to do or what your project is :) 

I would also suggest you to get in touch with one of our Authorized Distributors and talk to them about your project plan or what you plan to do. They will be glad to help you choose the right board. 

- Giri
0 Kudos
Observer mayuzhen123
Observer

Jump to solution
Many thanks for your patience.
0 Kudos
Visitor srv@xilinx
Visitor

Jump to solution

can you please tell how to use 4 ADS54J66 EVM with 1 zedboard??

0 Kudos