UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor dhairyagad
Visitor

How do I program Z turn board without a JTAG Cable ?

I am using MYIR's Z Turn Board which has the Xilinx Zynq 7020 SoC, how do I program it without the JTAG cable ?

Is there any way to program it by uploading to SD Card or by USB, I'm looking for a detailed answer to this since I'm new to FPGA programming.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: How do I program Z turn board without a JTAG Cable ?

Yes, you can boot the Z-Turn from a micro SD card.

The normal boot procedure for a Zynq is that the PS (CPU) boots first from whatever interface is selected (normally via jumpers). There are a few options for that, including JTAG, QSPI flash, and micro SD (the Z-Turn supports all of these, but micro SD is the only one that you can easily use for getting started). During the PS boot process, it'll initialize the PL (FPGA fabric) which also sets up most of the peripherals.

As for how to do that - well, I've generally done it with Petalinux. Create the Vivado bitstream and HDF, then pass that to Petalinux, build Petalinux, and copy the output files to the micro SD card. I suspect there's a much easier way to do it without Petalinux, but I haven't researched that.

Tags (1)
Visitor dhairyagad
Visitor

@u4223374 wrote:

Yes, you can boot the Z-Turn from a micro SD card.

The normal boot procedure for a Zynq is that the PS (CPU) boots first from whatever interface is selected (normally via jumpers). There are a few options for that, including JTAG, QSPI flash, and micro SD (the Z-Turn supports all of these, but micro SD is the only one that you can easily use for getting started). During the PS boot process, it'll initialize the PL (FPGA fabric) which also sets up most of the peripherals.

As for how to do that - well, I've generally done it with Petalinux. Create the Vivado bitstream and HDF, then pass that to Petalinux, build Petalinux, and copy the output files to the micro SD card. I suspect there's a much easier way to do it without Petalinux, but I haven't researched that.

I believe building PetaLinux would be a lengthy process, please let me know if you come across any simpler method like programming it with a USB ? Meanwhile I'll give the Petalinux method a try, thanks for the solution !

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@dhairyagad There's definitely no way to boot the Z-turn (or any Zynq 7000 board) from a USB drive, or as a USB slave. The modes that the Zynq "knows" about are:

JTAG

QSPI flash

NAND/NOR flash

SD

The Z-turn has QSPI flash and the option of NAND/NOR flash (it's got a footprint but no memory chip fitted, because they figured the I/O pins were more useful elsewhere). However, to program these you need either JTAG or a system that boots. JTAG is obviously out because you don't have an adaptor.

That leaves SD (micro SD on the Z-turn) as the only usable boot mode.

Xilinx has some documentation here for building the boot image. It appears that you can do this without Petalinux.

0 Kudos