UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer boy_fpga
Observer

Is it normal that LED5 is on all the time when turning on my Atlys?

Hello, recently my Atlys underwent a serious accident and I notice that when I turn it on (both with loaded and unloaded J11) the led5 (LD5) remains always ON, and its light is not strong like the power led, but strangely half-lit... is it normal?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: Is it normal that LED5 is on all the time when turning on my Atlys?

Mine actually does that when I turn it on right now, but I have no idea what the bitfile I've got configured in there at the moment does (I don't think it's the self-test/demo though).

You probably won't be able to tell if there's any problem with your board unless you can try configuring it over JTAG or something. I don't think the LED on its own can tell you much.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Free energy?

As J11 is the power jack, you have either discovered free energy or you are mildly deluded.  Or you have jumper JP10 installed, connecting LD5 to 3.3V supply.  The residual charge on the 3.3V supply capacitors might very well be discharging slowly through LD5.

I was really hoping that you had discovered free energy...

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Observer boy_fpga
Observer

Re: Free energy?

thank you, I tried with the attached .bit, I loaded the JP11, turned on the board, and tried the same thing with 3 different memory sticks.... unfortunately.... no one of these seem to work.... :-(

0 Kudos
Observer boy_fpga
Observer

sorry, the jumper I referred to was JP11 not J11

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I don't see how JP11 would effect LD5.

I found the schematics here:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/ATLYS/Atlys_C2_sch.pdf 

This is a searchable pdf so you shoudl be able to trace the circuit pretty eaily.

Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

At the bottom of sheet 8, JP11 (USB BOOT JUMPER) ties M1/LD7 to VCCB2.

M1/LD7 is connected to the anode of LD7 (sheet 2), an I/O on the PIC (sheet 6), and M1 (N12) on the FPGA (sheet 8).

Edit: Derp, you were talking about LD5. I'll have a closer look at that.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

I don't see how JP11 would effect LD5.

You are right.  That is what was said in the first post in this thread.  LD5 stays on with or without JP11 (or J11).

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

After a quick investigation, I've decided that the HSWAPEN pin must be outputting 1.8 V while the FPGA is not configured. If you don't have JP10 installed (which ties it to VCC3V3), there's only a weak pull down (R241, 10K).

JP11 ties LD7 to VCCB2 (through a couple of resistors), which is either VCC3V3 or VCC2V5 depending on JP12. I believe that VCC3V3 is the factory setting. Thus the difference in LED brightness is caused by the difference in supply voltages (1.8 / 3.3 V). Once you've configured the FPGA and HSWAPEN reverts to being L1P, LD5 should behave itself. If you want to use LD7 as an output while using the USB host boot facility, remove JP11 once the FPGA has been configured.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

BOY_FPGA, ATLYS2, and Derp

Joelby,

I think there are larger issues at hand here. BOY_FPGA is simply unfamiliar with schematics and the Atlys2 board, and at this point it isn't clear if *anything* works.

BOY_FPGA,

Please take a deep breath, and then try to write a paragraph or two which summarises what you are trying to do, and what progress you've made so far (please take time to mention what does work and what doesn't work).  This would greatly help us to understand better how we might be able to assist you.

P.S.  Who is "Derp" ?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: BOY_FPGA, ATLYS2, and Derp

P.S.  Who is "Derp" ?

It's the sound I made when I smacked my forehead with my hand.

0 Kudos
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Re: BOY_FPGA, ATLYS2, and Derp

@joelby

As a frequent South Park viewer, I should have known this.  What's wrong with me?  DERP!

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:

Summary:
0 Kudos