UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor lepotdenut
Visitor

KC705 FMC HPC / LPC voltage

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the user guide of the Kintex-7 FPGA KC705 Evaluation Kit.

I want to use the FMC HPC bank with bidirectionnal LVDS 1.8V. So I have to power the FMC HPC bank (VADJ_FPGA) to 1.8V.

The issue is that I also want to use the FMC LPC bank to use a mezzanine card (Ethernet FMC 1.8V). I read that there are some issues with using the Ethernet FMC 1.8V with High Range bank  (http://ethernetfmc.com/compatible-fpga-boards/). Apparently, if I use the LPC FMC with the voltage of 1.8V, I will  "not be able to use the on-board 125MHz clock oscillator unless the FPGA board has an on-board external termination resistor on this clock signal"

Is there a way to power the FMC LPC with 2.5V (so i avoid the compatibility problem with Ethernet FMC) while keeping the FMC HPC bank with a voltage of 1.8V?

Thanks for your answers,

Florian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: KC705 FMC HPC / LPC voltage

Jump to solution

@lepotdenut The HPC and LPC FMC signals are connected to HR banks on KC705. So if you need to use Bidirectional LVDS on HPC FMC pins, you will need VCCO to be 2.5V to support LVDS_25 bidirectional functionality. https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html

When you say LVDS 1.8V, I guess that is just the operating voltage of the other end device. Do not get misled with the 1.8V as LVDS is not a rail-rail voltage. Check both the sides  Vdiff and Vcm specs are within range of each other. Take a look at this post of mine which has the pic of the LVDS signal and what Vdiff and Vcm are. 

So have 2.5V for VADJ_FPGA and you should be able to use both the cards. Also, you cannot have separate VADJ_FPGA voltage for HPC and LPC as it is a single rail and powers all the HR banks connected to FMC connectors i.e. HPC and LPC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: KC705 FMC HPC / LPC voltage

Jump to solution

@lepotdenut The HPC and LPC FMC signals are connected to HR banks on KC705. So if you need to use Bidirectional LVDS on HPC FMC pins, you will need VCCO to be 2.5V to support LVDS_25 bidirectional functionality. https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html

When you say LVDS 1.8V, I guess that is just the operating voltage of the other end device. Do not get misled with the 1.8V as LVDS is not a rail-rail voltage. Check both the sides  Vdiff and Vcm specs are within range of each other. Take a look at this post of mine which has the pic of the LVDS signal and what Vdiff and Vcm are. 

So have 2.5V for VADJ_FPGA and you should be able to use both the cards. Also, you cannot have separate VADJ_FPGA voltage for HPC and LPC as it is a single rail and powers all the HR banks connected to FMC connectors i.e. HPC and LPC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos