UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer kjbernardo
Observer

Kintex7 jumper settings for 1000BaseX

Hi, 

While reading the document UG810 (KC705 Evaluation Board for Kintex 7 FPGA), I found no reference for 1000BaseX Ethernet. But when reading thru the datasheet for LogiCore IP AXI Ethernet 3.01a, it was mentioned that 1000BaseX can be used for Kintex7. If this is the case, what are the jumpers and settings that I need for 1000BaseX to be operational since the Kintex datasheet tackles SGMII jumpers and settings only.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Kintex7 jumper settings for 1000BaseX

Hi

The marvell PHY doesn't support 1000Base_x and so no jumper setting provided for this.

SFP+ are used for 1000Base_x and you can refer UG810 for this settings.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer kjbernardo
Observer

Hi, 

So if I'm going to used an SFP, 1000BaseX should be used. If I'd go with the Ethernet, SGMII will be used. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

Both 1000Base_X and SGMII are used for Ethernet communications.

Check below link for the differences

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/General-Technical-Discussion/Ethernet-1000base-X-VS-SGMII/td-p/483338

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer kjbernardo
Observer

Hi Yenigal, 

Found this line on one of your replies from the link you've given me.

While SGMII uses electical technology and uses copper cat5 for communication based on 1000BASE_T.

My, SFP RJ45 supports 10/100/1000Base-T Operations in Host System. Does it mean that I have to use SGMII rather that 1000BaseX?

Thanks,

0 Kudos