UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer boy_fpga
Observer

Looking for simple examples for my Atlys

Hello, I have a Atlys board with Spartan 6, I'm looking for some simple examples like blinking LEDS... that can be used for configuring the FPGA through memory stick (in .bit format) just for testing purpose.. this morning I accidentaly broke the USB PROG port, and while trying to resolder it, I feared like I damaged the board even more... so I just wanted to test it (I have no JTAG cable, neither can use ADEPT port since it is broken..)

Thank you very much...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar joelby
Scholar

Re: Looking for simple examples for my Atlys

I've never tried using the USB host port configuration facility, but have heard that it doesn't work at all. You could try contacting the author of that page to ask if he had any more luck with it.

Okay, I've just tried it, and it didn't work! I've attached a bit file for the Atlys that will flash LEDs in a pleasing manner. I didn't check with an oscilloscope to see if the FPGA made any attempt to configure itself, but wouldn't be surprised if the facilty wasn't finished by Digilent.

You might want to consider buying a JTAG cable. Digilent sell a couple, and you can find them on eBay.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer boy_fpga
Observer

thank you, I tried with the attached .bit, I loaded the JP11, turned on the board, and tried the same thing with 3 different memory sticks.... unfortunately.... no one of these seem to work.... :-(

0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

You could ask Digilent what the deal is with this functionality. I have a suspicion that they erroneously copied and pasted this part from another development board's manual.

0 Kudos
Visitor prophet36
Visitor

I made a basic (programming only, no ChipScope) Xilinx-compatible USB-JTAG cable for £5, if it's any use to you.

http://www.makestuff.eu/wordpress/?p=1927
0 Kudos
Scholar joelby
Scholar

I saw your thread on edaboard.com and noted that mrflibble had successfully configured the FPGA using a USB drive, so I tried again. Indeed, it works! It just takes about 25 seconds and it turns out I'm not patient enough.

My drive is formatted as FAT32 and was 1 GB. The .bit file was the only file present. Long and short filenames both worked.

0 Kudos