UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor lingjiewei
Visitor

PL DDR4 does not work on ZCU102 Rev1.1 board with FMC board plugged in

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I am running into an issue with the PL DDR4 on the ZCU102 Rev 1.1 board when I have a FMC plugged into either HPC0 or HPC1. The FMCs I've tried are a Xilinx XM105 FMC debug breakout card, and a Hitech Global 10-port SFP+ Vita57.1 module.

Using Hardware Manager and programming the FPGA with the Configurable Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC example design (built in Vivado2018.2) with all default settings and having a XM105 debug card plugged into either HPC0/1, the MIG fails calibration in the first stage. When there is nothing plugged into HPC0/1, the MIG passes calibration.

Doing the same test with a Rev1.0 ZCU102, this issue does not happen. MIG calibration passes regardless of if anything plugged into HPC0/1.

Probing the value of VADJ_FMC_BUS, we see that on the Rev1.1 board VADJ_FMC_BUS goes down to 0 when any of the FMC boards gets plugged into HPC0 or 1, triggering ddr4_reset (schematics pg7). On the Rev1.0 board with the same FMC board(s) plugged in, VADJ_FMC_BUS stays at 1.8V.

Is the MPS430 firmware different on the Rev1.0 vs Rev1.1 board? Has anyone encountered this problem and have a work-around for it?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: PL DDR4 does not work on ZCU102 Rev1.1 board with FMC board plugged in

Jump to solution

You can change the parameter using the System Controller GUI (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/see-all-versions.html?xlnxproducttypes=Boards%20and%20Kits&xlnxdocumentid=XTP433).

Note, for versions of the ZCU102 with PMU firmware data of May 2017 or before you cannot update the PMI firmware and you must use version 3.0 (2016.4). To determine the version for your board you can boot the board with a terminal emulator connected to the PMU serial port (interface 3) at 115200 BAUD. Power cycle the board and it should display 

!! Press ESC to enter System Controller mode.

Then type @ver and press return. This will show you the version.

One thing I had to do to get it to work on my Windows machine was to edit the JSON file to change the serial port used. This is probably due to driver versions, but the original config.json file contained the following entry:

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP210x USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

I needed to change it to the following.

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP2108 USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

Also, be careful, you can't edit the file with Notepad. It somehow corrupts the file (thanks Windows!). I gave up trying to figure out how ot edit it on Windows and used "vi" on my Mac. You can find out your exact string to use by looking at the COM ports for your computer in Device Manager.

Anyway, once you run it you will not receive any notification if the serial port could not be found (that's too easy). You can look in a log file that it generates to see if there was a problem. You can go to the About tab and ask it to "Get Version". It should tell you the version of the PMU software installed on your board. Incidently it shows the GUI version as 1.1 even though I downloaded the 3.0 (2016.4) files. 

Then you can go ot the FMC tab and then the Set VADJ sub-tab, From there you can set the current VADJ voltage to 0V, 1.2V, 1.5V, or 1.8V. You can also set the value to use on boot. You can set a direct voltage or tell it to use the value from the FMC cards (the default). You can set the voltage to 1.8V here. When you power cycle to voltage will be set to 1.8V regardless of the settings on the FMC cards. Do be careful that you will not be using FMC cards that could be damaged by the voltage setting that you choose.

There is an option to read the EEPROM values from the FMC cards if you like as well. But of course there is no way to modify those settings. That would be too easy.

Oh, and if you have a pre rev 1.0 board then none of this works and you have to connect a terminal program to the serial port and use a text based menu system that just works from any terminal on any version of WIndows/Mac/Linux with no software do download and install. You don't get a cool GUI or to edit JSON files or anything. How boring is that? 

Also you may find this answer record useful. I sure didn't though.

AR#69640 Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU102 Evaluation Kit - Ensuring a reliable connection to System Controller GUI on ZCU102 https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69640.html

Let me know if this dowsn't work for you.

2 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

You can change the parameter using the System Controller GUI (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation-navigation/see-all-versions.html?xlnxproducttypes=Boards%20and%20Kits&xlnxdocumentid=XTP433).

Note, for versions of the ZCU102 with PMU firmware data of May 2017 or before you cannot update the PMI firmware and you must use version 3.0 (2016.4). To determine the version for your board you can boot the board with a terminal emulator connected to the PMU serial port (interface 3) at 115200 BAUD. Power cycle the board and it should display 

!! Press ESC to enter System Controller mode.

Then type @ver and press return. This will show you the version.

One thing I had to do to get it to work on my Windows machine was to edit the JSON file to change the serial port used. This is probably due to driver versions, but the original config.json file contained the following entry:

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP210x USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

I needed to change it to the following.

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP2108 USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

Also, be careful, you can't edit the file with Notepad. It somehow corrupts the file (thanks Windows!). I gave up trying to figure out how ot edit it on Windows and used "vi" on my Mac. You can find out your exact string to use by looking at the COM ports for your computer in Device Manager.

Anyway, once you run it you will not receive any notification if the serial port could not be found (that's too easy). You can look in a log file that it generates to see if there was a problem. You can go to the About tab and ask it to "Get Version". It should tell you the version of the PMU software installed on your board. Incidently it shows the GUI version as 1.1 even though I downloaded the 3.0 (2016.4) files. 

Then you can go ot the FMC tab and then the Set VADJ sub-tab, From there you can set the current VADJ voltage to 0V, 1.2V, 1.5V, or 1.8V. You can also set the value to use on boot. You can set a direct voltage or tell it to use the value from the FMC cards (the default). You can set the voltage to 1.8V here. When you power cycle to voltage will be set to 1.8V regardless of the settings on the FMC cards. Do be careful that you will not be using FMC cards that could be damaged by the voltage setting that you choose.

There is an option to read the EEPROM values from the FMC cards if you like as well. But of course there is no way to modify those settings. That would be too easy.

Oh, and if you have a pre rev 1.0 board then none of this works and you have to connect a terminal program to the serial port and use a text based menu system that just works from any terminal on any version of WIndows/Mac/Linux with no software do download and install. You don't get a cool GUI or to edit JSON files or anything. How boring is that? 

Also you may find this answer record useful. I sure didn't though.

AR#69640 Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC ZCU102 Evaluation Kit - Ensuring a reliable connection to System Controller GUI on ZCU102 https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69640.html

Let me know if this dowsn't work for you.

Visitor lingjiewei
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your help! I have been able to apply this fix to my board and can use DDR now with my FMC board plugged in.

0 Kudos