UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Platform Cable USB II problem

I've been using the Xilinx spartan 3AN demo board with no problems and have just moved over to the platform cable for programming new boards.

I'm using ISE 9.2 and read that I need to follow UG344, which tells me to download and install drivers.

In device manager, I see 'Xilinx USB Cable' with driver file 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\windrvr6.sys' version 8.11 by Jungo

Problem is, I get a dim amber LED no matter what I do, and obviously, iMPACT can't see the cable.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Platform Cable USB II problem

I solved the problem by installing webpack 10.1, I get a green LED and iMPACT sees a device connected. New problem is that it doesn't recognise the device (XC3S50AN).

I have tracks 1 inch long from the FPGA and am using the fly-wire cable to connect TDO, TDI, TMS, TCK, GND and VREF. I've tried the slowest speed setting, just won't recognise it, but does see it.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

I had a similar problem today. We have a custom board with the V2Pro and the XCF02S PROM. I have a demo board with the same FPGA that has the same connector as on the Platform USB II, and using the included cable it has worked fine for hundreds of builds. This is the first time I've tried flying leads with this programmer, and both devices showed up as unknown. I tried pulling the PROM, no change, across two prototypes. I tried a USB I cable and problem solved. There is probably a problem with the flying leads, since you are seeing the same issue. Why it worked so many times before and not now is very irritating, considering how much I paid for the thing.

This is all done with the latest build (10.1) of ISE and iMPACT. Try an older generation USB programmer and see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Unfortunately, we don't have anything older. I guess not many people use the flying leads....
0 Kudos

I tried the programming again today, and am convinced that either I have a bad USB II platform cable unit or it is completely unreliable with flying leads. I had accesss to several different boards with different FPGAs, all flying lead headers attached. Using the USB II cable with 3 different computers, the Virtex5, Spartan 3A, and Virtex2Pro on these three boards were unrecognizable. Repeating the experiment with a USB I platform cable unit, was able to identify and configure these FPGAs.

To confirm that the USB II unit was not bad, I tried using the high speed serial cable on a CTXIL103 board with the Virtex2Pro and it was identifiable. I have tried everything, reducing the config speed to the lowest possible, it makes no difference.

Can ANYONE confirm they have gotten flying leads on the newer platform cable units to work? I cannot for the life of me understand why it makes a difference. If its a fundamentle setup issue that I'm missing, please help me to understand. Otherwise I just wasted $300.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I just double checked the connections to the FPGA and the labelling of the fly-leads, all are correct. The only thing left to do is hook up a scope to try and identify the issue, but I really don't fancy that.....
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hmmm, still no solution yet.

I assume the USB II box actually works since it does detect a device. Is there a way I can test it with the spartan 3AN dev kit?

0 Kudos
Visitor john_galt
Visitor

I Have the Xilinx 10.1 installed on windows vista and trying to connect the USB II cable to the Spartan 3A 1800 Xtreme DSP development Kit. IMPACT is not able to connect to the board and the error message is

"Checking cable driver.
 Driver file xusb_xp2.sys found.
 Driver version: src=2301, dest=2301.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. WinDriver v8.11 Jungo (c) 1997 - 2006 Build Date: Oct 16 2006 X86 32bit SYS 12:35:07, version = 811.
Cable connection failed."

Any thoughts on that please let me know.

0 Kudos
Visitor john_galt
Visitor

The problem is solved. try installing the ISE 10.1 2 or 3 times only the cable drivers and standalone programming tools. impact should be able to connect to the cable.

cheers'

karthik

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

It's great you've got yours working, but it's not the problem myself and colonelmasako are having. We can't get the flying leads to recognise xilinx parts.

0 Kudos