UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer viitk99
Observer

Suggestion on 1GHz/500MHz external clock module for 500 MHz system synchronous design.

I am planning to use Xilinx ZC706 with TI based ADC and DAC EVM boards ADS5463EVM and DAC3152EVM for my design. I want my system to be clock synchronous (synchronized clock for ADC, DAC and FPGA board). 

Can you guys suggest an external clock module/device which can give me 4 to 5 different 1 GHz/ 500 MHz clock outputs for the system? 

Thank you,

VK

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Suggestion on 1GHz/500MHz external clock module for 500 MHz system synchronous design.

what connectors

what voltages

what signal standard

what tolerances / specifications do you need on the clocks 

BTW : A 1 Ghz clock is quiet high, whats it for / where does it go 

0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion on 1GHz/500MHz external clock module for 500 MHz system synchronous design.

You didn't say it, but I guess you require very low jitter.

In terms of chips, I suggest using one of the following families from Silicon Labs.

Si5392/5394/5395/5396/5397

Si538x

Si5340/Si5341/Si5391

If you really need a module, those parts have expensive evaluation boards.

EDIT: the clock inputs on the TI ADC EVM are transformer coupled, i.e. they have a DC short to ground.  You should make sure the clock source driving that input is AC coupled.

BTW, this is one of those cases where the evaluation module is much harder to use than the chips themselves.  For example, you could connect one of those Silicon Labs clock outputs (programmed for differential) directly into the differential clock input of the ADC.  But if you're using the evaluation modules, you need to go through baluns and SMA connectors.

0 Kudos