UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor jens.heyen
Visitor

Total Power Consumption of Evaluation Boards

Hi there

I'm looking for the total power consumption for the ml501 and ml505 evaluation platform boards. The documents given for these boards don't say anything about the total power, so i'm asking here for help. I don't need to know the exact amount of power but it should be about 5 Watts accurate.

Thanks,

Jens 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Total Power Consumption of Evaluation Boards

Jens,

If you program the FPGA to require 10 watts:  it will.

If you program the FPGA to require 15 watts:  it will.

So asking "how much power" without telling us exactly what bistream you have loaded is asking us to guess.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp353.pdf

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor jens.heyen
Visitor

Hi Austin,

I'm sorry, my question was a bit short.

so, i know how to determine the power dissipation that is caused by my design. i use modelsim and then xpa.

my question is: how much power is used by the board, i.e. the components on the board like the prom, the cardreader and so on besides the fpga.

i'm argueing about the power dissipation of my design of these two fpgas, but i want to mention the additional power that is used by the board so that i can tell how much power would be used if i took these boards as they are and build my system around them.

Thanks,

Jens 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you are looking for the total power for the entire board, then just insert a current meter on the 5V input line.  There really isn't any other way to determine this.
------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos