UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ajroth
Observer

VC707 GTX QUAD113 SFP use Si5324, SGMII use SGMII _CLK - UG476 single external ref clk confusion

Jump to solution

VC707 - Vivado ~2014.2 tools (trying 2015.1 or 2 evantually as well..)

What is the best way to generate cores to have both the VC707 GTX SFP use Si5324 and SGMII use SGMII _CLK since both are in QUAD113.  The Si5324 clk is from MGTREFCLK0 QUAD114 while the SGMII_CLK is from MGTREFCLK0 QUAD113.

I have the SGMII ethernet / PCS/PMA working via AR59968 TEMAC PSCPMA -

1- However I generated the "core with shared logic" for the pcs/pma core for SGMII, do I need to go back and change this?

Now for the Si5324 clk coming in which I know is good seen via a probe I have the following questions:

2- Should I configure the signal from the Si5324 to be "Low swing LVDS", LVDS, or LVPECL?  I'm guessing Low swing LVDS should be good after looking at things.

3- I've generated the core without shared logic - and instantiate the IBUFDS_GTE2 and tried tying this to both gt0_gtrefclk0_in/1, and the gtsouthrefclk0/1 in.  It doesn't appear to map to gtrefclk0 or 1 when I tie it to those when viewing the routed design in device view...

I've noticed documentation UG476:

"Figure 2-6 shows a single external reference clock with multiple transceivers in multiple
Quads. The user design connects the IBUFDS_GTE2 output (O) to the GTREFCLK0 ports
of the GTXE2_COMMON and GTXE2_CHANNEL primitives for the GTX transceiver, and
GTHE2_COMMON and GTHE2_CHANNEL primitives for the GTH transceiver. In this
case, the Xilinx implementation tools make the necessary adjustments to the north/south
routing as well as pin swapping necessary to route the reference clocks from one Quad to
another when required."

4- Do I need to instantiate GTXE_COMMON as well even though I don't want/need the QPLL clk I just want to use the CPLL clk?

5- Is tieing the IBUFDS_GTE2 output to only gt0_gtgrefclk0_in the correct path, and all the others tie to gnd?

6- Will there not be a conflict with the SGMII_CLK which the SGMII using from gtefclk0_in? - do I need to modify anything on my working PCS/PMA core? (source files are encrypted for the GTX gtwizard for the pcs/pma SGMII core?! so I can't see what it was set up as...)

Thanks - this works in simulation, but I can't get CPLL lock.  You may reference further background at http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Connectivity/GTX-transceiver-wizard-set-CPLLREFCLK-quot-101-quot-in-property/m-p/643571#M8223 which was a different beginning question to figure out how to get clks here (feed si570 to si5324)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer ajroth
Observer

Re: VC707 GTX QUAD113 SFP use Si5324, SGMII use SGMII _CLK - UG476 single external ref clk confusion

Jump to solution

Solved -

Answers/hints for future viewers:

1- no

2- Low swing LVDS working

3- Geberate without advanced clk - tie only gtrefclk0 to output of IBUFDS_GTE2 and tools map it automatically as needed to SOUTHREFCLK you can see in device viewer,  but you don't need to tough CPLLREFSEL's or SOUTHREFCLK signals..

4- no

5- yes, just tie the GTREFCLK0

6- ok

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer ajroth
Observer

Re: VC707 GTX QUAD113 SFP use Si5324, SGMII use SGMII _CLK - UG476 single external ref clk confusion

Jump to solution

Solved -

Answers/hints for future viewers:

1- no

2- Low swing LVDS working

3- Geberate without advanced clk - tie only gtrefclk0 to output of IBUFDS_GTE2 and tools map it automatically as needed to SOUTHREFCLK you can see in device viewer,  but you don't need to tough CPLLREFSEL's or SOUTHREFCLK signals..

4- no

5- yes, just tie the GTREFCLK0

6- ok

0 Kudos