UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jwizard93
Observer

VC707 will not turn OFF!

Hello,

Out of the blue I no longer have the ability to power down my vc707 by flipping the on/off switch. The board is in a PCIe slot and connected via JTAG.

I can only power down the board by shutting down the PC.

Please advise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VC707 will not turn OFF!

Hi @jwizard93

How about when the board is standalone? See if there is any mechanical failure around the slot.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jwizard93 On/Off is a mechanical switch and so the best way to figure out if it has gone bad is to check it out as a standalone unit. 

Pull it out of the PC and see if you can control the Power On/Off using the switch

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Observer jwizard93
Observer

Hello,

Thank you for your replies. I have removed the board from the chassis, removed the JTAG cable, and powered the board through the standalone power adapter. The LEDs and fan come on at the moment of connecting the power supply and do not respond to the on/off switch. What sort of issues is this going to cause me and do you have knowledge of how this might have happened?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Observer jwizard93
Observer

I followed page 109 of UG885 while installing the board in the Chassis. I was confused by "no PCIe" symbol on the power connector but of course that confusion was trumped by simple and explicit instructions in the user guide to slide the card into PCIe slot AND provide connection from 4-pin ATX using the cable that came with the board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer jwizard93
Observer

I understand Xilinx doesn't have information on every motherboard and it's PCIe characteristics. In fact, I don't even know what my MB is in my work PC. But, isn't it possible that I purchased a defective Xilinx board? I feel like this post merits more response as it is a Xilinx hardware failure regardless of the cause. Also, @vijayak no there is no mechanical failure visible anywhere. Also status lights are good. Also a few of the main voltages report ~100 mV less than max values in the system monitor, which according to UG is ~100 mV more than typical value. So my call, from my limited knowledge, is that the board is fine but the switch is broken. Ever happened before? Are the electrical characteristics of the switch at all important for the power signals? What is the exact meaning of the "no PCIe" sticker on the power connector header? I found mention of the sticker in UG but it consisted of just the exact same image of "PCIe" with a circle and slash over it, no explanatory text that I could find. I would really appreciate at least some follow up from Xilinx if you could. Or did Xilinx not make the board? It says Xilinx all over it.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jwizard93,

Where did you purchased the board from (Online from Xilinx site /distributor)? If you bought from Distributor, please contact them for further help.

If you have purchased online and the board is in warranty, please file a RMA SR @ http://www.xilinx.com/support/service-portal.html

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos