UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor sebwerner
Visitor

VC709 SI5342 Picoblaze

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

in ug962 p.52 it is shown how the 156.25Mhz clocks for the GTH transceivers are generated by the SI5342 module by programming it with picoblaze. I have the PCS/PMA IP core in my design on the VC709 board and want to clock it properly. I know that i have to do it as described, however, i cannot find any information on HOW to do it. No UG about the SI5342 module was helpful, also i'm wondering how to integrate Picoblaze in a design, there isn't even an IP block in the IP catalog?

I looked for any resource possible, but i feel like i have missed  something as this question has never come up so far ( besides in this post http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/VC709-clock-for-10G-Ethernet-SFP/td-p/474756).

Are there any .xdc files available? or user guides about how to program and connect the SI5342? The V7 connectivity TRD seems to use it but there is no information on HOW.

So can please someone help me out with any documentation or tell me how to integrated these block in my design ?

Thank you in advance for your help !

Best wishes,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VC709 SI5342 Picoblaze

Jump to solution

KCPSM6 is the PicoBlaze for 7-Series devices which can downloaded from the following site and contains everything you need to use PicoBlaze including an assembler, documentation and reference designs.

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/picoblaze/member/

Most specific to your application, the ‘Reference_Designs’ section of the package contains a file called ‘VC707_KCPSM6_VID_PMBus_and_more.pdf’. This provides additional descriptions of a reference design provided with XAPP555. Page 3 shows you how to obtain that design.  Sorry to make you go round the houses but it should be worth it because that design used PicoBlaze to dynamically control the frequency of the Si570 oscillator on the VC707 board. Pages 5, 11 and 18 of the PDF are related to this and then you will find that comments in the source files (e.g. ‘si570_tuning_algorithm.psm’) are really quite comprehensive descriptions.

I hope you enjoy using PicoBlaze.

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK
1 Reply
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: VC709 SI5342 Picoblaze

Jump to solution

KCPSM6 is the PicoBlaze for 7-Series devices which can downloaded from the following site and contains everything you need to use PicoBlaze including an assembler, documentation and reference designs.

http://www.xilinx.com/ipcenter/processor_central/picoblaze/member/

Most specific to your application, the ‘Reference_Designs’ section of the package contains a file called ‘VC707_KCPSM6_VID_PMBus_and_more.pdf’. This provides additional descriptions of a reference design provided with XAPP555. Page 3 shows you how to obtain that design.  Sorry to make you go round the houses but it should be worth it because that design used PicoBlaze to dynamically control the frequency of the Si570 oscillator on the VC707 board. Pages 5, 11 and 18 of the PDF are related to this and then you will find that comments in the source files (e.g. ‘si570_tuning_algorithm.psm’) are really quite comprehensive descriptions.

I hope you enjoy using PicoBlaze.

Ken Chapman
Principal Engineer, Xilinx UK