UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant zguo
Participant

VCU118-ES using non-ES board files for PCIe

Jump to solution

The context for this is a need to update to a newer version of the Vivado toolchain. A prior attempt to do this resulted in timing violations in an attempt to recreate my PCIe x16 design. Since then I've noticed that Xilinx has produced a rev 2 of the VCU118 and also provided new hardware board files. I also noticed that they restored the x16 demo projects, which I assume to indicate those should be working again, but the actual walkthrough to create a new x16 demo assumes a rev 2 board file project. This being the case, I am wondering how "safe/correct" it is to attempt to use the rev2 board for the ES version.

One potential wrinkle is that the ES board's VCCINT to be set to 0.72V, whereas the rev2 board is set to 0.85V. They also mention that a x16 design requires VCCINT be set to 0.85V, though I've successfully instantiated and developed a x16 design using an unmodified ES board with the original VCCINT. I assume however that Xilinx had a sound reason for increasing the voltage, which leads to the next question. How safe is it to increase the voltage, and what is the method to do so. Will simply updating the system controller do so, or do I need to hit the appropriate registers manually?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: VCU118-ES using non-ES board files for PCIe

Jump to solution

Hello @zguo,

You can follow the steps given in the AR#69815 to reprogram the power controller.

The above answer record can help you change the supply settings of the power controller.

While for safe operating voltage values for a device series can be found in DC and AC characteristic datasheet of that device series.

In  this case please refer DS893.

The change in supply settings for rev. 2 board is surely related to performance of PCI design.

I will not recommend to use the production board for design for ES board.

Hope these helps. 

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: VCU118-ES using non-ES board files for PCIe

Jump to solution

Hello @zguo,

You can follow the steps given in the AR#69815 to reprogram the power controller.

The above answer record can help you change the supply settings of the power controller.

While for safe operating voltage values for a device series can be found in DC and AC characteristic datasheet of that device series.

In  this case please refer DS893.

The change in supply settings for rev. 2 board is surely related to performance of PCI design.

I will not recommend to use the production board for design for ES board.

Hope these helps. 

Thank you.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos