UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor evansl
Visitor

What design software can I run for my ML605 eval board now?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I bought an ML605 board (at some expense of course) a few years back for personal educational and experimental reasons.

It has been put aside for a while, but I decided to get it all running again this weekend.

Unfortunately, I've since upgraded to Win 8 and the software on the original DVD supplied with the eval board (ISE 11.x I think) won't even install now!

What are my options at this point?

It looks like ISE has moved on a lot since v11, but am I licensed to use the later versions?  I don't think so.

WebPACK can't be used with the ML605 and the larger Virtex 6 device it has, at least according to the material I can find.

I'm really hoping that I don't have a very expensive but entirely useless eval board at this point!

-- Luke

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer nachum
Observer

Re: What design software can I run for my ML605 eval board now?

Jump to solution

Here is a link to my suggested solution for ISE 14.5:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Windows-8/m-p/321185#M4507

I believe the same workarounds work for the earlier version of ISE as well. I used it for installing and working with ISE 13.2.

The one trick you might need is for installation. When I tried to install ISE 13.2 on my Windows 8 system the installation crashed.. To resolve this, I had to extract all of the Xilinx cab from the ISE 13.2 archives in order to find the libPortabilityNOSH.dll file as referred to in my other post. Once I found that file, I used it to replace libPortability.dll from the installation folders. That resolved the crash and allowed me to install the tools. After installation, I had to replace libPortability.dll again with the NOSH (No Smart Heap) versions to use ISE and Impact.

Nachum

3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Luke,

First of all, Windows 8 is not supported by Xilinx tools.

You can use the later versions of software that were released in next one year after purchasing license. i.e.,

If you have purchased the license on April 2013, then you can use the softwares that are released before March 2014.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Observer nachum
Observer

Jump to solution

Here is a link to my suggested solution for ISE 14.5:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/Windows-8/m-p/321185#M4507

I believe the same workarounds work for the earlier version of ISE as well. I used it for installing and working with ISE 13.2.

The one trick you might need is for installation. When I tried to install ISE 13.2 on my Windows 8 system the installation crashed.. To resolve this, I had to extract all of the Xilinx cab from the ISE 13.2 archives in order to find the libPortabilityNOSH.dll file as referred to in my other post. Once I found that file, I used it to replace libPortability.dll from the installation folders. That resolved the crash and allowed me to install the tools. After installation, I had to replace libPortability.dll again with the NOSH (No Smart Heap) versions to use ISE and Impact.

Nachum

Visitor evansl
Visitor

Jump to solution

OK, thanks for the responses.  

Maybe my best option is to use Linux in a virtual machine (I'm using Windows in Parallels on a Mac anyway, so assuming the Linux version is as full-featured as the Windows version, it's neither here nor there). 

I'll have to look up what the newest version of ISE I'm authrorised to use actually is.  I suspect it's pretty old, given that the eval board was shipped with a 11.x.  Too bad there's no educational/hobbyist license that would allow someone like me (non-profit, enthusiast/learner) to continue playing and learning with up-to-date tools.  Oh well ;-)

-- Luke

0 Kudos