UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bradtaylor
Visitor

ZCU102 - Linux SD boot problems

I was excited to receive a new ZCU102 rev1.0 board today but I'm having some trouble bringing up linux via an SD card.

When I power up with the SD card installed or press the por_b switch, nothing seems to happen, except that the PS_ERR_OUT LED goes on.  Pretty sure this is user error, but I'm stuck now. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone could point me to a boot.bin file know to work on the new board?

Some additional details are listed below:

• I set the SW6 Boot mode to SD mode - SW[4:1]=(0101) (on-off-on-off) as shown in the pic in the step-by-step guide

fyi - There is an additional jumper J108 which is not documented in the user guide near the SD card 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Visitor joezhao
Visitor

Re: ZCU102 - Linux SD boot problems

Just wonder how you can perform those tests if your system hanged there with PS_ERR_OUT red LED on. I got the eval board and there is nothing on SD card. I changed SW6 to boot from QSPI. After power cycle, the PS_ERR_OUT LED is turned on as red. The system wan hanged.

0 Kudos
Visitor bradtaylor
Visitor

Hi Joe - I was able to perform the self tests after I set SW6 to QSPI mode. Not quite sure what you mean by this statement below, but it would match my experience if you changed SW6 to boot from the SD card. 

@joezhao wrote:

I changed SW6 to boot from QSPI. After power cycle, the PS_ERR_OUT LED is turned on as red. The system wan hanged.

0 Kudos
Visitor bradtaylor
Visitor

Apparently the ZCU102 Rev 1.0 board has upgraded the SD card interface to support faster SD cards and the  simple SD boot mode = 0x5 will no longer function as I expected. Switching it to 0xE however works but there remain some issues with the version of linux builds. I will update this thread when we get Ubuntu up.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having SD boot problems, like those described above.

I was able to get uboot via jtag but I get a "do not respond to voltage select" error

BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.15.233 (256 ms)
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
Card did not respond to voltage select!
U-Boot-PetaLinux> run sdboot
boot Petalinux
syntax error
Card did not respond to voltage select!
U-Boot-PetaLinux> 
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Did you figure out what J108 is?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to get past the voltage error problem by reformatting the SD card.  Why that worked, I do not know.

Now I can read and write to the SD card from uboot initiated via jtag.  Still cannot boot via SD card.

0 Kudos
Visitor doublesom
Visitor

Hi @bradtaylor and @h_corey,

First thanks for the thread.

I managed to boot the ES2 board from SD card but the PS_ERROR_OUT is on.

Do you still have this issue?

Regards,

doublesom

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

I did get it to boot using boot mode "E", but the ps error is on.  My Xilinx rep says they are looking into the erroneous error.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

That is interesting i see you have been able to boot from SD Card in mode E.

For me, I could not boot from SD Card at all. I tried every possible mode, I tried different BOOT.bin images.

Nothing happens at the end. The board does not boot from SD Card.

Although using JTAG things are all looking fine.

0 Kudos
Visitor doublesom
Visitor

Hi All,

The following link http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Base+TRD+2016.3 is the only document I have found where the boot mode SW6 switches on ES2 is given to boot from SD card.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

My ES2 boards also will only boot with the mode set to 0xE.   I am able to boot the 2016.4 pre-built release and also able to boot my own custom distribution.

jeff

0 Kudos
Participant nachiket
Participant

I'm also having trouble booting from sdcard. The self-test works fine. I'm able to connect via USB/UART. Irrespective of the SW6 options, I keep getting the following message on my terminal -->

--------

!! Power Advantage Demo v1.00
!! Press ESC to enter System Controller mode.

--------

I've tried 0x5 and 0xE to no avail.

0 Kudos
Visitor zyxer
Visitor

Hi All,

Similar issue with us. Any success in booting Linux with ZCU102 board?

Xilinx,

Any single reference to get Linux up and running on this ZCU102 board would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Visitor npalmer
Visitor

nachiket,

You have probably moved on, but FYI, the Power Advantage Demo message is not coming from the Zynq, you have to switch Virtual Terminals.   You should have seen 4 ttys appear in dmesg when you connected the USB cable to a PC, try some of the others to see the Zynq PS UART output.    e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, /dev/ttyUSB2, /dev/ttyUSB3

0 Kudos