UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor hansgiesen
Visitor

ZCU102 stuck on boot

Jump to solution

We have a ZCU102 that gets stuck in an exception handler during POST. Following is a description of how we can reproduce this on the board:

The board is a new ZCU102 board that has not been used before. We set SW6 to 0000 such that the board boots in JTAG mode. All other jumpers are still in the same configuration as described in UG1182 v1.5, except for J88, but that seems to be the case for other boards that worked fine too. All LEDs are burning green after power up. In SDx 2017.1 running on Ubuntu 16.04.5, we created a standalone application project based on the "Hello World" template for the predefined ZCU102_hw_platform. We left all other settings during project creation on their defaults. Without making any further changes to the project, we tried to run the project on the board by right-clicking on the application project and selecting "Debug As -> Launch on Hardware (System Debugger)". The build completed, the board was programmed, and the application was loaded into the processor. We expected the debugger to stop at the default breakpoint at the start of the main function, but this never happened. After waiting a minute, we pressed the "Suspend" button in the GUI, and we saw that the processor hangs at address 0x200, at a branch to the "SynchronousInterruptHandler".

We checked the voltage levels using the Maxim PowerTool, but the voltage levels look fine. We also tried to add a system and APU reset before programming the processor, but that made no difference either.

We believe that the board is faulty in some way, so we tried to return the board via a service request. However, it was denied because Xilinx believes that this is not a broken board, but something in the programming procedure is wrong. We doubt that because the programming procedures that we use works fine for other boards, but not for this board.

Does anybody have any idea what is going wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor hansgiesen
Visitor

Re: ZCU102 stuck on boot

Jump to solution

Dear Xilinx:

I would highly appreciate it if these kind of product changes are communicated more clearly. Adding a note to the contents of the ZCU102 box is the least you could do. Even better would be a change in the revision number. After all, one cannot use the same bitstream for this board as for the original ZCU102, which may not always be acceptable to a customer.

Anyway, I can confirm that the suggested settings solve my issue.

Hans

5 Replies
Visitor anesse
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue.

Have you figured out the cause of this behaviour? I found that changing the program memory from ddr_0 (default) to OCM helped. However, i would appreciate to know why it wont work with the default setup. Anyone?

Im using the zcu102 rev 1.1 dev board, Vivado 2018.3 and windows 10

0 Kudos
Visitor hansgiesen
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear anesse:

Thank you for your suggestion. It's good to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. I can confirm that using the OCM instead of the DDR works on my board too. However, as the OCM is limited in size, this is not a great solution.

@Xilinx: Either the board or the software is broken. Unfortunately, I cannot debug either one of them, so unless anybody comes up with a solution soon, I will have no choice other than making another attempt at returning the board. Our other boards were functioning correctly, so there are definitely boards that work with the current tools. If someone at Xilinx is willing to perform the procedure outlined above before sending the board, it should not be necessary return boards over and over.

Thanks,
Hans

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello @hansgiesen @anesse 

May I know if you have gone through the following answer record ?

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71961.html

There is change in the micron memory part on new batch of ZCU10and that change has not been considered for the base BSP. I will recommend you to upgrade to latest version of 2018.3 tool.

Thank you

Kunal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hello @anesse and @hansgiesen,

Additional to @kvasantr, you need to change the PCW IP settings according to the new DIMM parameters. Please find the modify DDR Memory setting.Capture.PNG

You can look at the forum post below. I believe the customer was facing the same issue as you mentioned above.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Boot-and-Configuration/ZCU-102-Bare-Metal-JTAG-Debug/m-p/938744/highlight/false#M2150

Hope this information will help you.

Regards,

Naveen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor hansgiesen
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear Xilinx:

I would highly appreciate it if these kind of product changes are communicated more clearly. Adding a note to the contents of the ZCU102 box is the least you could do. Even better would be a change in the revision number. After all, one cannot use the same bitstream for this board as for the original ZCU102, which may not always be acceptable to a customer.

Anyway, I can confirm that the suggested settings solve my issue.

Hans