UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer marcheitz
Observer

ZCU106 RevD: enabling Vadj

Hello,

I am prototyping on 2 ZCU106 evaluation boards.

One is an old early access RevD board and the other is a Rev1.0

On the Rev1.0 board, the Vadj voltage is at 1V8 by default when the board is powered up and I am able to change Vadj voltage by using system controller GUI (SCUI.exe) (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu106/2018_2/xtp495-zcu106-system-controller-c-2018-2.pdf)

On the RevD board, the Vadj voltage is off by default and I am not able to activate it with SCUI. (Vadj Led is off)

The SCUI shows that MSP430 firmware is an old version 1.10 on RevD (vs 1.50 on Rev1.0)

I have checked the MAX15301 / U63 on the board and all seems to be Ok:

- Input power OK

- 3P3 and 1P8 OK

- I am able through SCUI to grab MAX15301 output voltage (0V)

I do not remember if the Vadj Led was on when I received the ZCU106 board then I don't know I have broken something!?

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could power on the Vadj on the ZCU106 RevD borad? 

Thanks 

Marc

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ZCU106 RevD: enabling Vadj

Hi @marcheitz ,

1. Are you facing thsi iisue at Time 0 or After period of usage?

2. Please share the Power GOOD LEDS Snapshot of Rev D Board at power ON?

3. Please go through ZCU106 Debug Checklist and confirm me till Step 4 you are fine? (Till Step 4 dont stop, even if you find issues in intermediate steps. And let me know till Step 4 where and all you found issue).

4. Which version of Vivado you are using? OS Details?

5. In the same PC/laptop are you able succesuffuly use SCUI with ZCU106 rev 1.0 board?  Are you using the same USB UART Cable for rev1.0 Board which you are using for Rev D board? 

6. Which version of SCUI you were using for ZCU106 rev 1.0 Board?

7. Please can you share me the Snapshot of Cable getting detected(Shown below) when you connect UART cable to baord and PC at power ON ?

Cable detection snapshot form PC Device manager like below:

1.JPG8. Please share the USB UART Driver version you have installed on your PC: (like below) (Always use 6.7 driver only)

2.JPG    

Note: If the cable is not detected in Device manager , then you need to change the USB UART cable. 

8. VADJ should be active on Power ON, if is not active XML programmed in regulator is corrupted due to PVT variations or regulator is bad. If we want to confirm about that, you need to do maxim reprogramming by referring this AR#69493

But note that board serial number is within the range as specified in AR#69493 and then move forward to order teh dongle. If the board serail number is not within the limit then you cannot reprogram your board.

Note : To perform Maxim reprogarmming you need Maxim Dongle, you can get it free by refrring this AR#62629.

if you don't get Dongle for free, contact XFAE/DFAE and borrow it. 

9. To check the healthiness of the board please perform, BIST TEST by following the XTP472. Share the results. If failing please specify at which step you are failing.

note : If BIST TEST is failing, please perform Flash restoration (Download related files)and again perform BIST Test and share the results.

Regards,

Deepak D N

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply or give kudo or Accept as a Solution.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hi,

Thanks for your help. My answers to your questions:

1. I don't know. As I said before, I had this problem after a period of usage. But I haven't used the Vadj before, then I don't know if the Vadj led was on when I received the board.

2. See attached photo of led status.

ZCU106_Leds.jpg

3. All is ok till step 4.

4. I don't understand the link with my problem! I use Vivado 2017.4.1 and 2018.2 on Linux RHEL machines. And 2018.2 Labtool on Windows 10 .

5. Yes, I use the same PC and the same USB cable to link the ZCU106 RevD and Rev1.0 with SCUI. See next aswers.

6. I make test with all SCUI versions: 2017.4, 2018.2 and 2018.3. All versions works (at least "Get version" command) with the 2 boards.

7. UART COM ports:

COM.png

8. I do not agree with this point and with Xilinx recommandation regarding driver version.

I use the last version of the driver and it woks well.

COM_driver.png

I sow the Xilinx recommandation regarding the version of the driver and this is not a good thing.

I think this recommandation is done because the new driver changes the name of the COM port and makes the "config.json" non compatible with this new name.

If you chage the last line of the "config.json" file from 

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP210x USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

to

"Port": "Silicon Labs Quad CP2108 USB to UART Bridge: Interface 3",

All is working fine and you can use the last version of the driver and this is really better practice!

I suggest to Xillinx to change this recommandation and update the "json" file.

8. I do not have Maxim reprogarmming Dongle. I'm checking if I can have one or buy one.

9. In the BIST TEST, only the PL DIP test fails. This is normal because I don't have Vadj voltage !

=> In conclusion, my firt diagnostic remains: I have a problem with Vadj that doesn't start. But why?

Is it a way to reprogram and check the MSP430 firmware and Maxim power supply configuratin without Maxim reprogarmming Dongle as for the ZCU102 board?

Thanks

Marc

0 Kudos
Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hi All,

I think, I found a better way to test the ZCU106 board. It is the "ZCU106 Board Interface Test" XTP491.

This software is now (2018.3) a merge of the BIT test and the SCUI software. It is a more intuitive GUI.

It works very good on my Rev1.0 board but not at all with the RevD.

I think this is because the MSP430 firmware is not up to date. 1.50 on Rev1.0 and 1.10 on RevD.

How can I update this firmaware ? 

In the "rdf0446-zcu106-bit-c-2018-3" zip file I found the Maxim original xml config file. How can we use it? (ZCU106 brd original config 0417_2018_1D_GCTLDAC6_0419_all rails.xml)

Is It mandatory to have Maxim reprogarmming Dongle to reprogram PMBUS with the xml file ?

More generally, is it a way to totally update the ZCU106 RevD (MSP430 & Maxim power rails), so it will be up to date and compatible with new SCUI software?

Marc

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @marcheitz ,

VADJ can be set to default volatge value using : SCUI and Maxim Power reprogramming.

BIST Test failed due VADJ is not active. Yes your understanding is right.

Since now you are aware of Config.json file. I hope that you have followed that now for your PC Cable driver. I understood that now SCUI is responsive on both boards.

Please refer this AR#67308 for VADJ rail setting Through SCUI for Rev D Board. It will help you.

And for your query"Is It mandatory to have Maxim reprogarmming Dongle to reprogram PMBUS with the xml file ?"

-----Yes it is mandatory to get in possession with Dongle For Maxim reprogramming. for reprogramming refer AR#69493

Regards,

Deepak D N

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply or give kudo or Accept as a Solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for your help.

I have ordered a Maxim reprogarmming Dongle.

But I have already strange things. To summuryze what is working and not:

- With ZCU106 Rev1.0:     All SCUI software vesion and all configurations is OK.

New ZCU106 BoardUI software is working

- With ZCU106 RevD:       SCUI software is working partially: I am able to read board version, Voltages, and other parameters but I am not able to configure Vadj as described in  AR#67308    , when I click on the button nothing happens.

New ZCU106 BoardUI software in NOT working. I do not understand why?

I think, there is an uncompatibility between MSP430 firmware V1.10 and the SCUI and New ZCU106 BoardUI.

How can I update this firmware to V1.50? Through Maxim reprogarmming Dongle?

In my understanding the Maxim xml file configures all the Maxim PMBUS chips.

And MSP430 is able to re-configure Maxim chips through UART3 interface with SCUI or BoardUI. Then It could be possible to update it and reprogram Maxim chips without using Maxim reprogarmming Dongle

Could you explain in detail how this power management works? Because I am not able to find precise description of that.

Thanks

Marc

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @marcheitz ,

Regarding your understanding " In my understanding the Maxim xml file configures all the Maxim PMBUS chips."

--- Not all, Only the regulators specified in that Maxim Reprogramming AR.

Since at power ON without connecting any FMC Card. VADJ was inactive, it tells that Regulator issue(Sometimes only LED will be faulty). Thats the reason in the 1st post i told you to do power reprogramming. 

Dont worry about the firmware. 

Please go ahead with Maxim reprogramming. After reprogramming observe the VADJ voltage in MAXIM GUI and confirm it is 1.8V. And try changing its volatge through SCUI GUI. 

For your query"Could you explain in detail how this power management works? Because I am not able to find precise description of that."

----- In short I will tell you. there are regulators which has PMBus Address for particular voltage rail. Those regulators will supply respective volatges for corresponding voltage rail. .XML file contains VOUT Command(how much voltage needs to be given for particular volatge rail) for particular voltage rail, that file we will program to regulators through maxim dongle. Hope now you got some idea. For more information refer page 123 and 124 of UG1244(v 1.2).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak D N

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply or give kudo or accept as a Solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hi all,

I received the Maxim Power Tool and used it to monitor all ZCU106 power domains.

1. First I have reprogrammed all the Maxim Integarted Power Controllers:

as described here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69493.html

Nothing changed, the Vadj rail was already off.

2. I have changed some parameters of Vadj rail through MaximDigitalPower interface and I don't know how but it finaly turns ON.

3. Now I am able to change the Vadj power rail voltage through SCUI interface. And I have configured it to 1V2 at boot. 

=> First problem Solved !

Juste one comment. When you change Vadj power rail voltage through SCUI, it doen't change dthe different over and under voltage params.

This has for effet that the power good never turns on. You must change manualy the limits through MaximDigitalPower GUI!!

If your FMC board uses the PowerGood signal to turn on the FMC (as mine) it never turns on!

The Vadj is now turned on but the ZCU106 is not functionnal, and I don't understand why! But I have strange things that make me thinking the FPGA has an hadware problem.

I have joined the print sceens of the MaximDigitalPower GUI for the 2 boards (RevD and Rev2)

In the 2 cases, the borads are on, the FPGA not programmed, without any FMC pluged on and nothing connected to.

Can anyone explaine to me why there is so much differences between the current on the different power rails?

Do you think my FPGA is KO?

Thanks, Marc.

ZCU106Rev2.png
ZCU106RevD.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @marcheitz ,

Its good to hear that after performing Power reprogramming you were able to Adjust/set the VADJ Voltage through SCUI( Ibelive you have referred AR#67308(you can set VADJ voltage through Tera Term window. Once you set VADJ voltage through Tera Term Window, voltage will be set until power cycle. but after power cycle it will fallback to default VADJ voltage i.e 1.8V). 

For your query"If your FMC board uses the PowerGood signal to turn on the FMC (as mine) it never turns on!"

---- Did you look into the AR#67308, it has mentioned that, If a connected FMC card has a blank or corrupt EEPROM, the VADJ rail will not be enabled at power on. Hope this might help you.

>>Which FMC Card you are using ?

Note : FMC Card VITA Standard has to match Board VITA Standard then only FMC Card is compatible with ZCU106 Rev D Board.

The Vadj is now turned on but the ZCU106 is not functionnal, and I don't understand why! But I have strange things that make me thinking the FPGA has an hadware problem.

----- I didnt get you on this point exactly!!! Did you meant you cant configure the FPGA nor Flash?

You have claimed in previous post that BIST Test passed, but only PL DIP Test failed(it failed due to VADJ rail was inactive). It means that Board is healthy. 

I have joined the print sceens of the MaximDigitalPower GUI for the 2 boards (RevD and Rev2)

In the 2 cases, the borads are on, the FPGA not programmed, without any FMC pluged on and nothing connected to.

Can anyone explaine to me why there is so much differences between the current on the different power rails?

------- dont worry about that. GUI values are fine.

Juste one comment. When you change Vadj power rail voltage through SCUI, it doen't change dthe different over and under voltage params.

This has for effet that the power good never turns on. You must change manualy the limits through MaximDigitalPower GUI!!

--- I understood that, If you change the VADJ voltage through Tera Term Window, VADJ Volatge rail Power GOOD LED nevers turns ON and then again you neeed to perform Maxim reprogramming to Turn ON.

Possible causes:

1. If FMC Card is incompatible/ has corrupted EEPROM Data then VADJ Rail(POWER GODD LED OF VADJ) will be inactive.

2. If no FMC card is there. But you already done power reprogarmming. Before VADJ rail was active. but now when you changed the VADJ value to a known value other than 0V, If you are observing only VADJ Power GOOD LED inactive then, issue with POWER GOOD LED not the rail. to confirm this check the VADJ voltage in Maxim GUI, if its showing your set VADJ value then it is proven that problem with LED.

you can elaborate more if my understanding is wrong for this query.

Regards,

Deepak D N

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Kudo or Accept as a Solution.

0 Kudos
Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hello,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my precedent explaination, I'll try to be more precise.

--- I understood that, If you change the VADJ voltage through Tera Term Window, VADJ Volatge rail Power GOOD LED nevers turns ON and then again you neeed to perform Maxim reprogramming to Turn ON.

On my ZCU106 there is no interface via Tera Term. You can only use SCUI as for ZCU106 Rev2.

But this works very fine. I am able to change the Vadj voltage as described in the 2nd part of the  AR#67308 : UltraScale+ and UltraScale+ MPSoC Evaluation Kits (rev 1.0 and beyond)

On the ZCU106 boards you can even change the boot up Vadj voltage.

But the Maxim power modules have for example power limits (see attached file)

In this example the Vadj voltage is 1V2 and you can see that the undervoltage is  1V53

The power rail is considered as faulty !!! But is not. It is just a configuration problem. 

The power good of the ZCU106 is low and so is the FMC power good carrier to mezzanine. The FMC does not start !

Hopes it helps, Marc

2019-05-16_08h23_39.png
0 Kudos
Observer marcheitz
Observer

Hello,

Regarding my problems with the ZCU106 RevD.

I'am using FMC boards that we are designing. Don't worry they match VITA standard as well as Xilinx boards ! ;)

Anyway, the problem is not here because they work well on the ZCU106 Rev 2.

The design I'am testing is an example design with our CoaXPress IP Host and Device (EASii-IC IP referenced on Xilinx web site) and our FMC CXP boards on ZCU106. Our design works on ZCU106 Rev2 but won't on RevD and I am not able to understand why.

I made further tests with BIT design and all is ok except Led 0 (1st test)

I tried to update the QSPI of the ZCU106 but I am unable to do it. The restore procedure don't work (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu106/2018_2/xtp496-zcu106-restoring-flash-c-2018-2.pdf)

Now the QSPI is erased.

any idee ?

Marc

0 Kudos