UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to interface a usb port @ ml506

hi all i have xilinx evaluation board ml506 what i want to do is connect the board to the pc via usb then transmitting and receiving data from and to the board

example:-  i'll design a 32b full adder that takes two operands each 32 bit and add them and return back the result to the pc

so i want to transmit the two operands via usb and then receiving the result .

can anyone tell me how to do this and provide me with some resources?   

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Re: how to interface a usb port @ ml506

Hi,

You might want to consider Xilinx USB core :  

Hope that helps,

OutputLogic 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

mostafa.khairy wrote:

hi all i have xilinx evaluation board ml506 what i want to do is connect the board to the pc via usb then transmitting and receiving data from and to the board

example:-  i'll design a 32b full adder that takes two operands each 32 bit and add them and return back the result to the pc

so i want to transmit the two operands via usb and then receiving the result .

can anyone tell me how to do this and provide me with some resources?   

I suspect that you don't understand how USB works. It's not like a serial port where you can just send data to and from the computer.

You have to implement a specific USB device class, and use that class' mechanisms for sending data back and forth.

Start with Jan Axelson's "USB Complete" book and look at the USB Implementer's Forum website (http://www.usb.org).

This is a lot more involved than you suspect.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos

Hi, I also have got a similer problem. I have implemented FIX(Financial Information Exchange) protoclole message encoding and decoding in FPGA in verilog and all my designs are synthesizable in Vertex5 board. I checked few modules using the serial port and Hyperterminal which is in built in windows. But it is not verry effective since most of the time I have to give more than 32 bits as my input and RS232 interface is very slow in operation.

So I would like to get an solution for this,Basically how can I test my modules giving 32 bits or more array as an input? I heard that USB slave core can be used for this purpose, but Im not aware about the implementation. I would be highly appriciated if someone can help me with this issue. Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos