UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer huhanvictory
Observer

zedboard DDR address

Jump to solution

I want to test DDR read/write on zedboard. The size of DDR on zedboard is 512M. According to UG585, the address assigned to DDR is from 0x00100000 to 0x3fffffff, which is 1023M.

My design is as follows:

1. Write 32bit-data to address 0x00100000-0x3fffffff from PL side.

2. When writing operation is done, start to read data in address 0x00100000-0x3fffffff from PL side.

The data read from DDR is compared with the data written into DDR. The results are as follows:

1. data read from 0x30000000-0x3fffffff is correct

2. data read from 0x20000000-0x20080000 is correct

3. data read from other address has some wrong bits in the high 5 bits

So I want to know how to choose the proper address for the 512M DDR. Besides, since I used the DDR controller in PS, I'm not sure whether the code in PS will occupy some DDR address or not.

Is anyone able to solve my problem? Thanks.

I am a freshmen of FPGA. But I know everything is ok if I work hard.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: zedboard DDR address

Jump to solution

@huhanvictory you are probably doing these tests in bare-metal in which case the addresses used by the PS & PL to refer to  the same ddr location are the same. Your problem is most probably related to caching issues. You need to flush the cache when you write from PS before PL can read it and you need to invalidate the cache when you write from PL before PS can read it. This assumes you are using one of the HPx ports and not the ACP.

You can use these functions:

Xil_DCacheFlush and Xil_DCacheInvalidate

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Jump to solution

@huhanvictory you are probably doing these tests in bare-metal in which case the addresses used by the PS & PL to refer to  the same ddr location are the same. Your problem is most probably related to caching issues. You need to flush the cache when you write from PS before PL can read it and you need to invalidate the cache when you write from PL before PS can read it. This assumes you are using one of the HPx ports and not the ACP.

You can use these functions:

Xil_DCacheFlush and Xil_DCacheInvalidate

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer novec_16
Observer

Jump to solution

Dear @huhanvictory  please help me to understand how it is possible to write and read from the address space beyond the space of RAM available on your board?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Observer huhanvictory
Observer

Jump to solution

First, a self-defined IP is require to control the address of read and write. (Open vivado, Tools-Create and Package New IP-Create a new AXI4 peripheral). Then you could use axi_mem_interconnect to map the address to ddr in Processing System. 

Hope it is helpful for you.

I am a freshmen of FPGA. But I know everything is ok if I work hard.
0 Kudos
Observer yqq654101
Observer

Jump to solution
I want to write/read data from DDR using s-axi-gp0,but ps has been writen data to DDR,but pl write same data in same address,can you please tell me why
0 Kudos
Observer yqq654101
Observer

Jump to solution
want to write/read data from DDR using s-axi-gp0,ps has been writen data to DDR,but pl read eeor data in same address,can you please tell me why
0 Kudos