cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there situations in which dynamic total reconfiguration shall be preferred to partial reconfiguration?

Hello Xilinx users,

I am wondering in which cases (if any) total reconfigurations shall be preferred to partial reconfigurations.

This choice is important since the strategy of tasks' scheduling may change a lot according to reconfiguration time.

Is partial reconfiguration ALWAYS better than total reconfiguration or are there any domain for which it is not true?

My question is valid for any FPGA family (ultrascale, 7-family, 5-family etc) and for any domain. Even a single example in a particular domain could be useful for me to understand better this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iguo
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

It depends whether you need to keep FPGA still functioning - such as keep communication with some other device; remain perform some tasks while upgrade, etc.

If the design does not these at all, you can use reconfiguration - that's always much easier, mush more safe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, thanks.
Can I ask you what do you mean with "much more safe"? I think we are close to the solution.
0 Kudos