cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot from SPI flash KC705 evaluation board

Jump to solution

I am trying to configure my KC705 evaluation board to boot from the on-board SPI flash but after programming the SPI flash device successfully, the FPGA will not load the configuration. Here are the steps I have used to program the flash:

1.  Open the implemented design. Go to Tools > Edit Device Properties , set as follows:

Picture1.png

2. Generate the bitstream 

3. Go to Tool > Generate Memory Configuration File and make setting as follows:

Capture2.JPG

4. After the configuration file is generated, open the hardware manager, add the configuration memory device, program the memory configuration device with the .mcs file created in step 3. 

5. After programming of the configuration memory device completes, power cycle the board with SW13 in the following position (JTAG cable is removed):

Capture3.JPG

At this point I would expect the FPGA to boot from the SPI flash however the done LED never lights. What am I doing wrong? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I resolved the issue. I reset the device configuration properties and re-generated the bitstream and configuration memory files and then it worked. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bhall0107
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have not used the KC705 board before, but I would try this:

Under SPI configuration (your first photo) try changing bus width to x4.

Also in the configuration modes section (right side of your first photo) I think you will need to select Master SPI Flash x4 or something resembling that option. 

In the second photo, change Interface to SPIx4 as well. 

Hopefully that helps.

Brad

0 Kudos

Thanks, i'll give that a try. 

0 Kudos
bhall0107
Adventurer
Adventurer

The second step should say "left side of your photo"... sorry.

0 Kudos

Tried your suggestions, no luck. It's kind of annoying that the user guide doesn't tell you how to do this. 

0 Kudos
bhall0107
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sorry about that.
It might have something to do with those A24 and A25 switches... I'm not really sure what they do.

Also maybe try lowering the configuration rate to 33 MHz. I've had trouble with 66MHz before on the AC701.

hj
Hi @davidfhorowitz@lmco.com

Please open the implemented design .dcp file and use the below command to get the design properties:-

report_property -all [current_design]

Have you tried to program the .bit file using JTAG?

Thanks
Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

I resolved the issue. I reset the device configuration properties and re-generated the bitstream and configuration memory files and then it worked. 

View solution in original post