UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie pvarnai

Configuring SPI clock to idle high

Hi!

I am trying to use the SPI0 component of a Zynq XC7Z010 to read data from a 12-bit rotary encoder which uses an SSI protocol. I have a small example project set up in Vivado which enables the SPI0 to use EMIO ports and sets the pins I want to use. I also have the xspips driver working and am able to receive data from the encoder.

The problem I am facing is that I could only set up a clock signal which is idle low, while the encoder expects an idle high clock. Due to this, the first bits received are unusable, and I had to do some bit-manipulation to get these bits from the repeated data (the encoder starts sending data again after a 12 bit transmission). 

With an oscilloscope I tested out that the sent out clock signal is always idle low, whether the ACTIVE_LOW option is set or not for the SPI, so I concluded that that option is only for how the Zynq interprets the clock signal. How can I have a clock signal that is high by default? Do I have to manually invert them in the Vivado generated VHDL wrapper, or is there a simpler solution?

Thanks for any help!
-Peter

The data sheet for the encoder:
http://www.rls.si/rm08-super-small-non-contact-rotary-encoder

Measured clock signal for a 2 byte transfer when ACTIVE_LOW is enabled:
IMG_20160229_160959.jpg

and when it is not enabled:

IMG_20160229_161037.jpg

0 Kudos