UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ryu-102
Visitor

Could not find ARM device on the board for connection 'local' - ZYNQ Ultrascale+ MPSoC zcu102

Hello Everyone, 

I just recently for the past week started working with Xilinx hardware. Unfortunately, I quickly ran into errors on even the simplest programs, such as the bare-metal application for 'Hello World'. In my set up, I have ensured that the switches are in JTAG mode and that the connection has a baud rate of 115200. After connecting the board to serial port COM5 on my computer and running the application on hardware. I get the following error:

Could not find ARM device on the board for connection 'Local'.

Check if target is in:

1. Split JTAG - No operations are possible with ARM DAP.

2. Non JTAG bootmode - Bootrom may need time to enable DAP.

A photo of the error message is also posted below.

I'm not sure if this is related, but when I run the command "targets", no targets appear in the console. Could this perhaps insinuate that I have no JTAG connection? 

I am new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated! 

ARM_Error.JPG
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Re: Could not find ARM device on the board for connection 'local' - ZYNQ Ultrascale+ MPSoC zcu102

If you have an FMC card inserted that doesn't provide JTAG passthru, then your JTAG chain will be broken.      Can you connect to other Digilent USB cards that use the Digilent JTAG module?    Your problem can be either hardware or software, and trying other cards can provide a diagnostic.

Alternatively, get a USB JTAG adapter, and plug it into header J6.    Does that work?

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor ryu-102
Visitor

Re: Could not find ARM device on the board for connection 'local' - ZYNQ Ultrascale+ MPSoC zcu102

I have not inserted any FMC cards yet. I don't have any USB JTAG adaptors on me but I might order one and give it a shot. Could you clarify what you mean by a Diligent USB card? What function would it perform? 

Also, do you think trying to reset my board would help?

0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

The ZCU102 has a little postage stamp size module on it that implements a USB jtag function..   this is why you don't need a full blown JTAG adapter.      If it's not recognized, you either have a driver issue, or a hardware problem with this module.

Try following the instructions here to re-install your digilent driver:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59128.html

0 Kudos
Visitor ryu-102
Visitor

I followed the steps you sent me and reinstalled my drivers. I got a notice for a successful installation. I have attached a screen shot of my command prompt for confirmation.

The same error, however, still persists. Any other suggestions? I might phone into Xilinx to see what I can do from there. 

Installation_Drivers.JPG
0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

you might try a different USB cable, on the small chance you have a defective cable..  but offhand, this looks bad.   Try another computer to see if it recognizes your board.   But if nothing works, your board might be broken.  

0 Kudos
Visitor ryu-102
Visitor

Hey jmcclusk,

I know it has been a while, but I since then, I have managed to get my hands on another board. Unfortunately the same problem persists. I running a little bit dry on ideas for solutions. However, on the new board, one of the LED lights have shined red. What do you think this signifies? I have attached photos below.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

33941543_1257814787682514_1830296988885712896_n.jpg
34118856_1257815077682485_4608384979578126336_n.jpg
0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

According to this posting:   PS_ERR_OUT keeps red after boot if boot image doesn’t include a PL Bitstream.

If your second board is not recognized, then the problem is your computer..   somehow, the driver is not being installed or it's broken.  Try and see if you can borrow a regular JTAG cable with ribbon connector to see if it recognizes your board.   Or try a different computer with Win7 or Linux.

0 Kudos
Observer engll
Observer

I am seeing the same problem and am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to try.

I reinstalled the drivers for the CP2108 USB to UART Controller and the Digilent USB Device and they show up properly as devices on Windows 10.  SW6 is all ON for JTAG Boot Mode and I am running 2016.4.   Any other settings I need to check?   Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mentor jmcclusk
Mentor

Just a shot in the dark, but does this post help with the problem?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/Zynq-not-detecting-ARM-system/m-p/332163/highlight/true#M8701

0 Kudos
Observer engll
Observer

Thanks for the suggestion @jmcclusk.  The post did not help me to solve the problem, and I am still looking for suggestions to try.  Thanks.

I checked the driver and it had the "Load VCP" option checked already.  It was driver version 2.12.10.0 dated 10/28/2015.

I updated the driver to the latest version 2.12.18.0 dated 8/16/2017 - this version does not have the "Load VCP" option explicitly  listed.

Both drivers did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Visitor shayneyan
Visitor

Hi, have any one of you solved this problem? I encounter the same notice when I try to run the system debugger.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer floringf
Observer

I e the exact same problem on my linux ubuntu 2016.04 and zcu 102 

Any advise please ?

0 Kudos
Visitor tschesnok
Visitor

I have the exact same problem with Vitis and a zcu104 board..

Hello world app.. simple tutorial but no luck.

Instructions want me to connect the jtag cable.. and I did so via the USB plug. (the correct one).

Then it asks me to connect the USB UART Cable (which can only be the same cable from what I can see)

I should also say that I have booted fine into linux via SD card and run applications and seen them via the Vitis Serial Terminal via this USB cable. When I plug in the cable I get 4 USB ports that show up in Ubuntu.. I believe one of them is the JTag. No clue how to tell Vitis what port to use.

So tired.. nothing works.. and every tutorial is incomplete.. like "plug in the cable". Yeah.. except nothing works.. and the docs must be written by people with debugged systems rather than fresh installs..

0 Kudos
Visitor tschesnok
Visitor

AHHH.. this may be helpful to others also..

Once again I'm fooled by the Dip Switches to setup JTAG. The instructions are Very Confusing and contradicting in different places. All 4 Dip Switches must be ON..

So - all 4 "ON" as in the location of the "ON" label on the dip component.

They are all active low.. so they are actually all off.. I think.. but set them to "ON" - as in towards the center of the board and you should be OK. I recall the instructions being unclear.

You should get a green light right away after turning the board on.. if it stays read something is wrong.

0 Kudos