cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Difference between MCS file size and flash size.

Jump to solution

Dear All,

I'm trying to understand about relationship between mcs file size and flash size.

Currently  I find that there are difference between mcs file size and flash size. the mcs file from vivado is more larger then flash size. as I remember that flash size is 32MBytes but mcs is 52MBytes. then I'd like to want to know that can I use this mcs file into the FPGA flash ? or should I have to add more flash?  or is there any options what such as compression of mcs?

What am I supposed to do ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi love119,

For which FPGA you are trying making mcs file?

Flash size varies according to FPGA.

For more details check https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

(page 317-346) 

Regards,

Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

you need to select the flash size based on the bitstream size of the fpga, not looking at the mcs file size.

mcs file has some additional data which will be used by the programmer tool and will not be programmed into the flash

Following AR will help 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43961.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi love119,

For which FPGA you are trying making mcs file?

Flash size varies according to FPGA.

For more details check https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_1/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

(page 317-346) 

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

the mcs files include serveral other infemation  except bits content , for example  type,address, crc and so on. you can consult the mcs files specification.

0 Kudos