Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Does JTAG work under BPI mode

Jump to solution

Hi experts,

I found a strange description in page54 of UG470, I copied it below. If the mode pins are set 010 (BPI), can it work during debugging with JTAG. What does it mean, should add a DIP switch or not? We don't do it in Virtex5, Virtex4 and Spartan3.

10. The FPGA mode (M[2:0]) pins are shown set to Master BPI mode (010). The implementation of a board-level option that enables the user to change the FPGA mode pins to JTAG mode (101) is recommended to enable JTAG-based debug
capability for the FPGA during design. This is not required, but the JTAG mode setting ensures that there is no interference from the Master BPI configuration during debug.

Thanks.

Chris.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Chris,

Even when the mode pins are set for BPI mode, you can still access the FPGA through JTAG.

The JTAG mode has highest priority over all the configuration modes. In other words, irrespective of the mode pin settings, you can program/access/ debug fpga through JTAG.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Chris,

Even when the mode pins are set for BPI mode, you can still access the FPGA through JTAG.

The JTAG mode has highest priority over all the configuration modes. In other words, irrespective of the mode pin settings, you can program/access/ debug fpga through JTAG.

Regards,
Krishna
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your comments. It's a good news for me, I thought I had to add a DIP switch.

I'm just curious why xilinx added such a confusing note.

Thanks.

Chris. 

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I think this is a carry over from the previous architecture when there was a potential contention in some rare case. The 7-series user guide should not have this remark and will be removed.

0 Kudos