UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor egaznep
Visitor

Extracting Project Device (Part code) from Memory Configuration File (MCS)

Hello!

I would like to be able to classify .mcs files on hand with respect to their intended (designed for) devices. I have already checked the document UG470 (7-Series device configuration guide). There, I have located the sample XC7K325T bitstream (on page 105) and the value written to IDCODE register was suggested to be the device ID. However, when I have tested with various different speed grades and classes, I observed that the resulting device ID is again the same.

Example: I have tried with following devices:

xc7k410tffg676-1

xc7k410tffg676-2

xc7k410tfbg676-1

And for all I obtained following device ID: 03651093.

Due to constraints I had, I couldn't try devices with different pin count.

Is there a better way to extract this information? Possibly a more precise one?

Best regards,

Ege

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Extracting Project Device (Part code) from Memory Configuration File (MCS)

for my own interest

can I ask why ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Extracting Project Device (Part code) from Memory Configuration File (MCS)

Hi Guys,

Different device part cannot be distinguished by device ID. If you check IDcode definition in a bsdl file, you will see all same device part with the same device ID.

No way to tell the specific device speed grade or the package type. The only way is to check the Marking on the package. If you have a heatsink attached to the top and you forgot what device is used... then you will properly never know what speed grade, temp. grade or package type the part is with.

Ivy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visitor egaznep
Visitor

Re: Extracting Project Device (Part code) from Memory Configuration File (MCS)

For evil purposes :)

Actually, now I am working on a programming utility, which will program a SPI flash with configuration file for the FPGA. Somehow, I can choose/try to upload wrong file to the flash. To prevent accidents like that, I would love to be able to see whether .mcs file on hand is compatible with the accompanied chip or not.

Also, it would be cool if I can see whether this config file (generated by Xilinx) is compatible with the flash I have or not as well.

Reason why I don't use tools from Xilinx and design my own is to be faster (transferring the bitstream through another interface rather than JTAG).

0 Kudos
Visitor egaznep
Visitor

I should try to explain my question with different wording. I have some .mcs files (generated with Vivado 2017.2 let's say) and I would like to be able to see whether it is for the FPGA chip I have or not.

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

try to program the board would seem the easy choice,

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Still no answer to this question. mcs is the same with bit, when you program or download it to a device, only the FPGA ID will be checked. So you can download a 'wrong' file to a part.

The good news is: device won't got burnt, only that you will encounter some timing issues. But for fbg and ffg, if some I/Os are missing in another part and these I/Os play some role, the design may not work.

Ivy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos