Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

INIT_B on Spartan 7- FPGA in reset?

Hi,

How do I put the FPGA in reset? Is it possible to put the FPGA in reset by holding down the INIT_B pin?

When INIT_B is low, does it mean that I can configure/program the external flash device and when I release INIT_B (high), the FPGA would read the flash and configure itself?

After programming the Flash then I should pulse PROGRAM_B? 

Is this the right sequence:

1. Hold INIT_B low

2. Program flash

3. Release INIT_B

4. Pulse PROGRAM_B low

Please confirm if my understanding is correct and I would appreciate input if I got it wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Assumed you have seen this

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug470_7Series_Config.pdf?bcsi_scan_76a858e05751204b=NHbMUzrk0WkkKBynqh0T1IhpwpA8AAAAHZ9naw==&bcsi_scan_filename=ug470_7Series_Config.pdf

The FPGA does not as such have a reset.

Once powered up , it is either configured or not configured ( though some app notes call this configuration reset !! )

INIT_B is a bi directional signal of the FPGA.

"INIT_B can externally be held Low during power-up to stall the power-on configuration sequence at the end of the initialization process."

During this time , the IO pins are either puled up or tri state , depending upon the PUDC_B pin.

Do you need the FPGA to be like this whilst you program the prom , or are you programing the prom throught the FPGA , in which case do not hold this pin low.

"Upon completing the FPGA initialization process, INIT_B is released to high-Z at which time an external resistor is expected to pull INIT_B High"

"When PROGRAM_B is pulsed Low, the FPGA configuration is cleared and a new configuration sequence is initiated"

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hi @drjohnsmith 

Thanks for your reply. I have read the config document. 

My current design programs the external flash through the FPGA and everything is working well.

However, in my next revision of design, I wish to have an external processor (possibly a TI TM4Cxxx processor) to program the external flash. While the TM4C processor programs the external flash, I am hoping to put the FPGA in a "reset" state. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, your above listed steps are correct for your next revision of design.

-Harshit
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos