UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer rickwebb38
Observer

ISE 14.7 iMPACT won't work with Platform Cable USB

I've downloaded the standalone version of iMPACT as discussed in AR# 12858, but when I run the iMPACT software (64-bit) with the Platform Cable USB adaptor plugged into my USB port, it doesn't recognize the adaptor and when I go to the Cable Setup menu, it defaults to the Parallel IV cable option and doesn't give me the option to connect via USB. I've contacted my IT dept and they say that the USB port should work with the adaptor and it is seen by windows (7) when I disconnect and reconnect the Platform Cable USB adaptor into my USB port.

What's wrong here?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: ISE 14.7 iMPACT won't work with Platform Cable USB

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Jungo Drivers as below. Check if Impact detects Platform cable II after driver installation. 

1) In the Xilinx command prompt (not the regular windows command prompt) browse to your C:/Xilinx/<ise_version>/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/nt directory on 32-bit installs. i.e. type cd C:/Xilinx/<ise_version>/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/nt

2) To uninstall the jungo drivers type the command:  wdreg -compat -inf windrvr6.inf uninstall

3)    To reinstall the jungo drivers type the command:  wdreg -compat -inf windrvr6.inf install

After these steps the cable connection should work fine.

Check the device manager to see if you can see Jungo Drivers(v10.2.1) as below.

jungo.JPG

Thanks

Harshit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observer rickwebb38
Observer

Hi Harshit,

I re-installed the driver and it has shown up in the Device Manager as you have shown, but it is still not working.

The console log I get is as follows:

Welcome to iMPACT
iMPACT Version: 14.7
Project: C:\Xilinx\14.7\LabTools\\auto_project.ipf created.
// *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs
GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
// *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Plugin Version: 2.4.4
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: no JTAG device was found.
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
*** WARNING ***: When port is set to auto detect mode, cable speed is set to default 6 MHz regardless of explicit arguments supplied for setting the baud rates
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver file xusb_xlp.sys found.
 Driver version: src=1029, dest=1029.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 11.7.0.0. WinDriver v11.7.0 Jungo Connectivity (c) 1997 - 2014 Build Date: Oct 26 2014 x86_64 64bit SYS 09:16:51, version = 1170.
Invalid device driver license.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1).
Checking cable driver.
 Driver windrvr6.sys version = 11.7.0.0. WinDriver v11.7.0 Jungo Connectivity (c) 1997 - 2014 Build Date: Oct 26 2014 x86_64 64bit SYS 09:16:51, version = 1170.
 LPT base address = 0378h.
 ECP base address = FFFFFFFFh.
LPT port is already in use. rc = 20000009h
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4).
Checking cable driver.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      2 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !Enumerating cables. Please wait.
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Checking cable driver.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      1 sec.
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: Plugin Version: 2.4.4
INFO:iMPACT - Digilent Plugin: no JTAG device was found.
ERROR:iMPACT - This function requires that a target is opened first.

And in the cable setup menu, I don't see any USB options in the port dropdown menu, only LPT1.

Regards,

Rickwebb38

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rickwebb38

For this error 

Checking cable driver.

Check following links

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Xilinx-Cable-Driver-problem/m-p/753951#M41345

and 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Invalid-device-driver-license-Cable-connection-failed/m-p/653481/highlight/true

Which color is emitted by status LED after connecting Platform cable USB II between PC and FPGA board? 

Regards,

Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Observer rickwebb38
Observer

Hi Bhushan,

The device driver reports the Jungo: Date=31/08/2010, version=10.2.1.0. This is what came with the download from Xilinx when I downloaded the stand-alone Labtool pack, as I only need to use the iMPACT programming tool.

How do I get different drivers to try? Maybe this version is too old for the Platform Cable USB I am using?

I did try the same configuration with a Platform Cable USB II, but that too failed.

Regards,

Rickwebb38

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @rickwebb38

Uninstalling driver on Windows

1. Navigate to xfndry\HEAD\cust_rtf\bin\ [nt|nt64] or common\bin\ [nt|nt64] in an installed area.                          ( C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\bin\nt64)
  2. Open cmd console.
  3. Run "wdreg -inf %cd%\windrvr6.inf uninstall"
  4. Run "wdreg -inf %cd%\xusbdrvr.inf uninstall"
  5. Run "net stop XilinxPC4Driver"
  6. Delete "%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\windrvr6.sys"
  7. Delete "%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\xusb*.sys"
  8. Delete "%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\xpc4drvr.sys"

May be you are missing delete driver files.

Installing drivers on Windows

1. Disconnect the Xilinx USB cable. Alternatively, you can disabled the USB cable in the device manager first then re-enable them in step 5; in this case, you will not even need to reboot.
  2. Navigate to <Xilinx install>\bin\ [nt|nt64] or <Xilinx install>[nt|nt64] in an installed area.                                         ( C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\bin\nt64)
  3. Run wdreg -inf windrvr6.inf install
  4. Run wdreg -inf xusbdrvr.inf install
  5. Connect the Xilinx USB cable.
Note: You may need to run the Command Prompt in administrator mode

Regards,

Bhushan

Regards,
Bhushan

Observer rickwebb38
Observer

Hi Bhushan,

That seems to have fixed it!

Not sure why the standard download for the Labtool stand-alone doesn't work 'out of the box', but it works fine for me now.

Maybe the instructions you just sent me should be added to the download files, as a troubleshooting guide?

Regards,

Rickwebb38

Adventurer
Adventurer

@harshit thanks for the answer,It solved my problem.

0 Kudos