Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

JTAG: Xilinx USB Cable vs. Regular Cable

Jump to solution

Hi dear Xilinx community,

What is the difference between programming the FPGA via Xilinx USB cable or regular USB cable?

Background info: I try to run the helloworld example program for my Mini-ITX-7Z-ASY-G (7z045 SoC), but after programming when I try to run the code example, the cores get suspended. The example works for my ZC702, so i tried to spot the differences. The Mini-ITX has a JTAG connector J1 (for Xilinx Cables I guess?) and additionally the regular micro-USB connector (U3), which I also used on my ZC702 eva board.

I also wonder why writing the bitstream to the Mini-ITX via JTAG takes so long. When I remember correctly, programming the Artix-7 on ZC702 took like 1-3 seconds or so (Bit file size ~5MB), programming the same basic example for 7z045 takes half a minute (~11MB, write speed only 0.7MB/s - 1.2MB/s)

Is it possible that I have to use the Xilinx USB cable? I already tried re-installing Xilinx Cable Drivers, but this didn't change anything

Have a nice week!

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - 64 Bit

Xilinx Vivado 2018.2 - 64 Bit

Mini-ITX-7Z-ASY-G (7z045 SoC)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hj
From cable standpoint I can share some details. Xilinx cable has max frequency of 12 Mhz and default is 6 Mhz. Whereas Digilent USB cable has default of 15 Mhz. So there is a JTAG frequency difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hj
From cable standpoint I can share some details. Xilinx cable has max frequency of 12 Mhz and default is 6 Mhz. Whereas Digilent USB cable has default of 15 Mhz. So there is a JTAG frequency difference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For more information please refer to configuration resources https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/Configuration-Resources/m-p/753763/highlight/true#M5891
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
luhb
Visitor
Visitor

I also did some research on this, and this was also the only real difference I found. The Xilinx Cable Platform also can be used as SPI or serial, but the regular USB cable offers all JTAG functionality regarding programming the FPGA and running your user programs.

0 Kudos